Vice President - Comedy Development (ABC Signature)Apply NowApply Later Job ID 10009864 Location Burbank, California, United States Business Disney General Entertainment Content Date posted Aug. 12, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
The ABC Signature Development team is seeking a qualified candidate for a Vice President, Comedy Development, to represent ABCS and direct the development of new comedy series and pilots. This person will ensure that ABCS shows are of the highest quality within allotted time and resources.
- Implement the creative strategy as defined by the senior leadership team to cultivate unique, compelling, and brand appropriate scripted comedy series.
- Provide specific feedback to production partners at all stages of development to ensure the creative vision set out at the development phase is carried through to production.
- Track, solicit, evaluate, procure, develop and oversee the production of scripted programming from pitch to pilot, including but not limited to:
- Hearing pitches
- Reading and giving notes on stories, outlines and scripts
- Participating in hiring key cast and crew
- Participating in key creative decisions regarding physical production
- Visiting sets for pilot shoots when needed to protect network interests
- Watching cuts and giving notes
- Staffing writers for series
- Develop and maintain relationships with talent (producers/production companies, studios, agents, writers, directors, actors, etc.), identifying the creators and show runners of tomorrow and actively pursuing business with them.
- Serve as point of contact with the creative community to identify and develop new projects.
- Interface with internal teams on all production and programming issues, including but not limited to:
- Ensuring that the network and studio priorities are in sync and being addressed by the internal partner at the network.
- Helping to manage the overall deals and script deals with the network.
- Collaborating to identify talent we should keep, and talent we should utilize in the future.
- Establish links to marketing and promotions and keep them informed about upcoming green lights and promising development.
- Seek direct feedback from SVP of Comedy Development on work related priorities.
- Proactively manage the focus and the performance of assigned production pods.
- Proactively manage the performance of respective administrative assistants.
- Demonstrated overall work experience in media and entertainment.
- Track record developing commercially successful and/or critically acclaimed comedy series.
- Strong working knowledge of the business and creative aspects of development.
- Demonstrable writing skills and excellent knowledge of script and story structure.
- Strong relationships within the creative community – executives, agents, writers, producers, etc.
- Demonstrated knowledge of ABC audience and values, and content and current series.
- Ability to communicate effectively to all levels of management.
- Ability to develop and mentor junior members of the team.
- A passionate commitment to quality entertainment.
- Available to go on location for projects that shoot outside of Los Angeles.
- A self-starter who is assertive, enthusiastic and highly motivated.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, innovative, and high energy environment.
- A team player who works well with others.
- Experience developing comedy programming for linear and/or non-linear platforms.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
About Disney General Entertainment Content:
The Disney General Entertainment Content group creates original entertainment and news content for the Company’s streaming platforms and its cable and broadcast networks.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Touchstone Television Productions, LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney General Entertainment Content.
Touchstone Television Productions, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.