Already applied?View Dashboard
Vice President, Business Affairs - UnscriptedApply Now Apply Later Job ID 652753BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted Apr. 03, 2019
We are seeking an experienced film and television executive for the Vice President, Unscripted Business Affairs position. This individual will collaborate with Business Affairs teams across all segments of The Walt Disney Company, playing a critical role in structuring the overall strategic approach for unscripted original programming deals for Disney+ Direct-To-Consumer service. The ideal candidate will have experience in a comparable position navigating and shepherding Business Affairs for all unscripted feature and television programming for SVOD platforms. This role will serve as key point of contact and partner with TWDC Enterprise segments on full business, content, and production lifecycles for unscripted programming.
- Develop and suggest strategies, policies and procedures for managing unscripted programming for Disney DTC
- Draft, structure, and negotiate agreements and complex deals related to unscripted features and television programming, including unscripted pilot/series, international co-productions, unscripted features/documentaries, specials, short-form, live events, ancillary content, third-party acquisitions, etc.
- Meticulously analyze deal arrangements, and formulate business strategies, regarding overall direction, proposal framework, associated costs, talent relations, and any other aspects in respect to the various content development and production matters for unscripted programming
- Partner with each TWDC segment legal team to draft sophisticated business term sheets and agreements
- Regularly interface and consistently coordinate with production companies and studios to oversee day to day logistics as it pertains to unscripted content and production
- Work closely with internal team members in creative, scheduling, and finance to set content strategy, financial budget planning, and programming calendar for Disney SVOD platforms
- Act as a business liaison and build relationships between Disney+ and the unscripted creative programming community (e.g., talent agencies, producers, studios and independent production companies)
- Identify and pursue original-related new business development and alternative financing / production opportunities, including international partnerships
- Handle any day-to-day business affairs issues for current programming
- Maintain constant awareness of industry trends and keeping up to date on all content related trends and information
- Provide guidance and general business counsel in a rapidly changing business and tech environment
- 15+ years total experience (at least 10 years doing Business Affairs)
- 3-5 years practicing at a nationally-recognized law firm (or comparable in-house media, legal affairs experience)
- Extensive knowledge of SVOD transactions including movies, network and studio licensing, co-productions, development and talent deals, IP acquisitions, contingent compensation structures, and agency package arrangements
- Strong leadership, organizational skills and emotionally intelligent communication with a vision
- Proven ability to work across a matrixed organization while also able to self-motivate
- Established professional network and reputation as a smart doer within the TV industry
- Familiarity with production budgets and the ability to provide business counsel on production matters
- High degree of knowledge related to unions and guilds, production tax incentives, and international co-productions
- Familiarity with the brands and franchises of The Walt Disney Company
- Familiarity with domestic and international distribution marketplace and sales benchmarking
- J.D. degree from a top tier law school
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; the upcoming Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney-branded streaming platforms, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney DTC LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
Disney DTC LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.