VP, Architecture and Standards
Burbank, California, United States; Seattle, Washington, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 774251BR Location Burbank, California, United States; Seattle, Washington, United States Business The Walt Disney Company (Corporate) Date posted Feb. 18, 2021
Job Summary:At Disney, we’re storytellers. We make the impossible possible. The Walt Disney Company is a world-class entertainment and technological leader. Walt’s passion was to continuously envision new ways to move audiences around the world—a passion that remains our touchstone in an enterprise that stretches from theme parks, resorts and a cruise line to sports, news, movies and a variety of other businesses. Uniting each endeavor is a commitment to creating and delivering unforgettable experiences — and we’re constantly looking for new ways to enhance these exciting experiences.
The Enterprise Technology mission is to deliver technology solutions that align to business strategies while enabling enterprise efficiency and promoting cross-company collaborative innovation. The Enterprise Technology organization drives our competitive advantage by enhancing consumer experiences, enabling business growth, and advancing operational excellence. Enterprise Technology is guided by the principles of being service focused and collaborative, being biased for action and innovation, and being efficient through leverage of TWDC scale and through continuous improvement.
Responsibilities:The VP Architecture & Standards is a key role within the organization, responsible for designing and communicating the shared architectural vision and standards for the Enterprise Technology organization to drive industry-leading capability at TWDC.
The role will lead the teams responsible for developing and generating Design Packages, which include conceptual, logical, and physical application solutioning, by working with engineering teams to define designs and resulting artifacts, including documents and drawings, configuration policies and guidelines, testing analyses, test plans, and risk assessments to ensure a sound Architecture.
The VP Architecture & Standards will collaborate with senior technology and business leaders to develop a rationalization plan for the enterprise’s technical ecosystem and create an end-state architecture with a deep understanding of the business vision/drivers/objectives across the multiple business lines so that the over-arching enterprise strategy can be realized. This key leadership position will drive alignment to a shared technical vision as well as roadmap through a team of technical architects, partnering with the technology segments embedded with the businesses, Enterprise Technology domain architects and engineers, and infrastructure leads to ensure success to achieving that end-state vision.
The VP, Architecture & Standards will work closely with SVP, Enterprise Infrastructure Services, SVP, Enterprise Business Systems, VP, Workforce Enablement, VP, Enterprise Products & Programs as well as VP, Information Security Architecture in the Global Information Security organization. This role has ultimate accountability for ensuring the vision for TWDC’s future state enterprise architecture is realized across all data domains and lines of business, in order to achieve business strategy.
The role also collaborates across TWDC business units to harmonize technical architectures and develop global standards and governance.
Additional Responsibilities Include:
- Own and lead Enterprise Technology Architecture vision and strategy across a globally distributed engineering team to deliver best-in-class technology solutions
- Develop and implement a robust and achievable roadmap that transitions the legacy technology ecosystem to target destination state
- Partner with product, software engineering and infrastructure leadership to architect best-in-class solutions that meet the needs of the businesses, customers, clients and other stakeholders
- Develop implementable architecture blueprints and patterns that align with best-in-class design and software engineering principles
- Design reusable frameworks and curate modularized components to help accelerate the time to market for new business capabilities that can be leveraged across multiple business lines
- Provide thought leadership to the enterprise on key industry and technology trends, staying current on new and emerging trends while also evaluating their applicability to TWDC's strategy
- Develop and promote architecture best practices and guidelines for Enterprise Technology
- Establish software development frameworks, code quality standards and sponsor code improvement initiatives
- 10+ years of experience in a software engineering environment in large global corporations
- 10+ years of experience in managing teams delivering large scale solutions across multiple business units and geographies.
- 10+ years of enterprise architecture experience in complex technology ecosystems
- Recognized technology and architecture leader with proven track record of delivering software engineering initiatives at scale and cross technology/business initiatives with a focus on consumer facing applications
- Ability to cultivate a culture of openness, transparency and inclusion and build, maintain, and grow high-performing architecture teams globally
- Strong leadership, influence and negotiation skills with both business and technical groups
- Must be solution-oriented and business-minded with significant practical experience in building, delivering, and supporting technology systems in the evolution to becoming an architect
- Possesses a full span of knowledge of end-user computing, hosting (platform, server, storage), network, and telecommunications technologies. Ability to “deep-dive” into emerging technologies and interact with internal and external experts; recommending potential partnerships that provide efficiencies and competitive advantage
- Deep knowledge of service-oriented and event-driven architectures
- Demonstrated ability building highly performant and robust technology solutions
- Strong understanding of modern data modeling and data architecture practices
- Relationship Management, Influencing and Negotiating: Promotes ideas and proposals persuasively; able to work through conflicts to negotiate win/win solutions that benefit the Business Units, Enterprise Technology and TWDC. Shapes stakeholder opinions effectively; projects a positive image of the organization. Provides strategic thought leadership. Ability to influence and partner with other teams in the delivery of tactical and strategic solutions
- Visionary Thinking: Has/establishes clear strategic vision for the business of operation; maintains long-term view; able to foresee obstacles and opportunities and generate breakthrough ideas.
- Shaping Strategy: Develops distinctive strategies to achieve competitive advantage; translates broad strategies into specific objectives and action plans.
- Drive Execution: Ensures the assignment of authority and accountability to for continuous improvement of service levels.
- Empowering Others: Creates an environment that fosters personal investment and excellence; nurtures other’s commitment to a common vision and shared values; provides opportunities for growth and achievement; facilitate collaboration and teamwork
- High-Impact Dialog: Delivers messages clearly, convincingly and in a well-organized manner; able to vary communications style for multiple audiences.
- Cultural Sensitivity: Understands and embraces diversity and possesses ability to adapt behavior based on cultural norms.
- Managing Change: Manages change effectively including organizational, process and service delivery changes. Successfully gains support for business driven changes through effective and timely communication including rationale, scope and schedule.
- BS in Computer Science or another degree in a related discipline required
- MS in Computer Science or other advanced degree in a related discipline highly preferred
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Worldwide Services, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).
Disney Worldwide Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.