VP, Business Affairs – ABC EntertainmentApply NowApply Later Job ID 10001834 Location Burbank, California, United States Business Disney General Entertainment Content Date posted Aug. 09, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
ABC Entertainment is looking for an executive to join its Business Affairs Department as a Vice President to support scripted and unscripted programming for prime-time for the ABC Network and programming across other Disney Platforms (e.g., Hulu, Nat Geo, Disney+, etc.). This executive will negotiate agreements in connection with the development and production of television projects, including agreements with above-the-line talent (e.g., producers, directors, on-air talent, etc.), overall term agreements and rights agreements, and oversee business matters in connection with pilots, series and specials. They will also be involved in negotiations between the network and third party studios and platforms, studios and production companies in connection with the licensing, production services and co-production of projects. In addition, the Vice President will work closely with executives in all internal departments, including Development, Current, Casting, Production, Legal Affairs, Scheduling, Marketing, Publicity, Labor and Finance.
- Structuring, negotiating, documenting, and managing the network’s transactions to engage above-the-line talent (producers, directors and on camera talent), acquire underlying rights, and license content on all broadcast, basic and pay cable, and on-demand platforms.
- Working in a highly collaborative fashion with other Business Affairs and Legal Affairs members and members of Creative, Production, Production Finance, Programming, Acquisitions, Marketing, Brand Management, and Digital Media.
- Interfacing with the distribution arms of the Walt Disney Company in connection with the exploitation of studio content.
- Establishing and maintaining client relationships with regular, effective and timely communications concerning deal negotiation and business strategy.
- Collaborating with Legal Affairs to get long-form agreements signed on a timely basis.
- Working with contracts administration on tracking of contractual options for properties and talent, payments, and deal summaries.
- Following “best practices” and contributing towards improving deal parameters, deal memo templates, departmental process and procedures, as well as great ideas and creative problem solving on deals and projects.
- Assist with issues that may arise in connection with the acquisition and exploitation of content across Walt Disney Company and third party platforms, and advise and support senior executives/management personnel on key business issues and rights matters.
- Significant Legal and/or Business Affairs experience within the entertainment industry.
- Experience negotiating scripted series and ideally, non-scripted series, ATL deals at a major studio, network or streamer.
- Strong knowledge of common deal structures for original series and the ability to think critically about their evolution for application in future agreements.
- Superior analytical and writing skills, together with strong business and financial acumen.
- Exceptional organizational, prioritization and time management skills with the ability to execute against multiple, high-priority projects, and with a keen attention to detail.
- Professional, confident demeanor and a team player.
- A track record as a skilled negotiator and deal-maker.
- Ability to perform duties under minimal supervision while exercising discretion and independent, sound judgment, and excel in a fast-paced, results –oriented work environment.
- Exceptional inter-personal communication skills.
- Juris Doctorate (JD) from an accredited institution.
About Disney General Entertainment Content:
The Disney General Entertainment Content group creates original entertainment and news content for the Company’s streaming platforms and its cable and broadcast networks.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business we call Disney General Entertainment Content.
American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.