VP, ConcertsApply Now Apply Later Job ID 730555BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Disney Music Group Date posted Dec. 09, 2019
The Music Business and Legal Affairs department of the Disney Music Group is seeking an exceptional music executive with a minimum of 12 years of experience in the music and/or concert licensing and production-related areas, with a strong business acumen, strategic vision and an ability to target operating income growth. The ideal candidate must have excellent communication, negotiation, drafting and analytical skills and must be able to make quick decisions, simultaneously understand the “business development,” “business affairs” and “legal affairs” perspectives in evaluating a particular course of action, and work comfortably and efficiently in a fast paced environment.
- Negotiating and drafting agreements for live and/or recorded concert productions, score rental agreements, co-production and/or co-promotion agreements, merchandise agreements, sponsorship agreements, broadcasting licenses, vendor asset creation agreements and for the hire of production personnel involved in the creation and production of live concert events and/or recordings to be created for television and new media productions (including technical vendor agreements, choreographers, consultants, music editors, engineers and other concert production-related agreements).
- Directly responsible for managing Concerts team, along with working outside of the direct team to coordinate the creation, review and approval of concerts marketing and publicity assets and style guides with the Disney Music Group marketing, digital media and publicity teams.
- Direct responsibility for maintenance of all operations relating to the license of film concert assets from the date clearance phase through to negotiation, contracting, shipping & logistics, invoicing and final show settlements.
- Leading development of new business with concert licensees and/or strengthening relationships with concert customers with strong soft skills in fostering customer-service based perspective in dealings;
- Overseeing and coordinating with the finance/accounting teams in royalty payout calculations to songwriters/composers and/or content stakeholders in connection with concert business as well as providing support and feedback to the quarterly review of actual income and/or income and expense forecasting matters;
- Reviewing and providing guidance and support to the invoicing, payment and credit & collections process related to concert income and expenses;
- Communicating daily with Disney live events specialists in all ex-US Disney offices to coordinate strategy, business development and operating income growth tied to live concert productions (and the exploitation of same in various media);
- Coordinating and being directly responsible for the creation of new film concert titles and assets (including, without limitation, the budgeting, vendor-sourcing and quality control review and approval process);
- Overseeing the negotiation and pricing of licensed concerts (whether negotiated directly by Disney Music Group - and its Business & Legal Affairs team - or by its authorized booking agents);
- Advising on rights and uses of musical content in live concert recorded concert productions, marketing and promotions, publicity and other ancillary uses.
- Overseeing the concert date clearance process and liaise with other Disney lines of business to coordinate booking strategies with an eye towards minimizing market saturation and/or cannibalization.
- Supporting the Senior Vice President on all matters, including development of ongoing business strategy and operations and in reviewing/preparing data analytics for executive-level reporting and presentations;
- Advising and counseling other business units and ex-US offices with respect to the music-related portions of agreements involving live concert productions and negotiating and drafting the music provisions for such agreements; coordinating inter- and intra-company licenses with respect to exploitation of content for same.
- Managing the concerts operation database (currently Filemaker Pro) and oversee the data entry of contract and performance-related live event information and directly preparing and distributing periodic reporting for same (i.e., weekly and monthly reporting to internal and external stakeholders and partners using raw data from a Filemaker Pro database); working with technical support teams to streamline and automate processes from within same (e.g., developing scripts and macros to expedite automated reports and database queries).
- Reviewing and refining boilerplate agreements with repeat vendors and licensees.
- Minimum of 12 years of experience in the music and/or concert licensing and production-related areas or related experience.
- Extensive senior level experience in negotiation and drafting agreements in the entertainment field.
- Ability to work independently and reliably in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines.
- Strong working knowledge of excel (e.g., pivot tables, v-lookup functions, auto-calculations, sophisticated formulas, etc.)
- Expert understanding of business and legal concepts concerning music and live concert events and the ability to proactively and efficiently manage multiple projects and business partners at the same time. Strategic understanding of intellectual property and licensing issues from a studio and content distributor perspective.
- Knowledge of and experience with film concert playback systems and working with outside vendors to create new concert assets (e.g., technical directors, audio engineers, music and video editors, music preparation and copying teams, etc.).
- Strong understanding of music and audio preparation for live concert events (e.g., orchestral string counts, click track preparation, punches and streamers technology, synthesizer patches, vocal lead sheets, piano/vocal sheets)
- BA/BS degree from an accredited university.
- Expert understanding of Excel and Outlook email management strategies to handle large volumes of data and communications.
- JD/MBA preferred.
- Licensed attorney preferred
- Experience working with Filemaker Pro and/or other scripting or data query coding (e.g., SQL, excel macros, mail merge integration).
- Basic ability to read/understand sheet music / music performance experienced preferred.
- Established relationships with concert producers, orchestras, talent managers and/or artist and booking agents.
About Disney Music Group:
The music is the soundtrack of our lives – from your favorite hits by popular artists to beloved tunes from films like Mary Poppins and Frozen. Find the music that rocks your world right here at the Disney Music Group (DMG), headquartered in Burbank and home to Hollywood Records, Walt Disney Records, Disney Music Publishing and Disney Concerts. DMG releases film and television soundtracks from the world’s biggest entertainment brands, including Disney, Pixar, Marvel, the legendary Star Wars, ABC and Disney Channel, alongside pop, dance, family music and the catalog of classic rock band Queen. DMG is also an innovator in music distribution and live concerts. If music is your passion, come be a part of the team that brings it to ears all over the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Hollywood Records, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Disney Music Group.
Hollywood Records, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.