Already applied?View Dashboard
VP - Network ComedyApply Now Apply Later Job ID 518398BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Disney ABC Television Group Date posted Jan. 10, 2018
Job Summary:ABC Entertainment seeks a qualified candidate for a VP- Network Comedy role. In this the role, the person will represent the Network and direct the development of new comedy series and pilots. They will ensure that our shows are of the highest possible quality with the time and resources available.
- Implement the creative strategy as defined by the Head of Network Comedy Development.
- Provide specific feedback to production partners on creative at all stages of development – pitches, scripts, cuts, etc. to ensure the creative vision set out at development phase is carried through to production.
- Track, solicit, evaluate, procure, develop and oversee the production of scripted programming from pitch to pilot, which involves but is not limited to:
- Hearing pitches
- Reading & giving notes on stories, outlines and scripts
- Participating in hiring key cast and crew
- Participating in key creative decisions regarding physical production
- Visit sets for pilot shoots when needed to protect network interests
- Watching cuts and giving notes
- Staffing writers for series
- Develop and maintain relationships with talent (producers/production companies, studios, agents, writers, directors, actors, etc.), identifying the creators and show runners of tomorrow and actively pursuing business with them.
- Serve as point of contact with the creative community to identify and develop new projects.
- Interface with ABC Studios on all production and programming issues to include, but not limited to:
- Ensuring that the network and studio priorities are in sync and being addressed by the internal partner at the Studio.
- Helping to manage the overall deals and script deals with the Studio.
- Collaborating to identify talent we should keep, and talent we should utilize in the future.
- Establish links to marketing and promotions and keep them informed about upcoming green lights and promising development.
- Seek direct feedback from Head of Comedy Development on work related priorities.
- Proactively manage the focus and the performance of assigned production pods.
- Proactively manage the performance of respective administrative assistants.
- 12 or more years of overall work experience in media and entertainment.
- Track record developing commercially successful and/or critically acclaimed comedy series.
- Strong working knowledge of the business and creative aspects of development.
- Demonstrable writing skills and excellent knowledge of script and story structure.
- Strong relationships within the creative community – executives, agents, writers, producers, etc.
- Demonstrated knowledge of ABC audience and values, as well as knowledge of content and current series.
- Excellent communication skills and management skills.
- Ability to interact with all levels of management and be effective in a matrixed environment.
- Ability to develop and mentor junior members.
- A passionate commitment to quality entertainment.
- Available to go on location for projects that shoot outside of Los Angeles.
- A self-starter, who is assertive, enthusiastic and highly motivated.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, innovative, and high energy environment.
- A team player who works well with others.
Preferred Qualifications:Experience developing comedy programming for non-linear platforms.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
About Disney ABC Television Group:
Disney/ABC Television Group (DATG) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, DATG offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, DATG includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Disney ABC Television Group.
American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.