Director Data Center & Hosting Operations
Celebration, FL - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 739067BR Location Celebration, Florida, United States Business The Walt Disney Company (Corporate) Date posted Jan. 23, 2020
Job Summary:At Disney, we‘re storytellers. We make the impossible, possible. We do this through utilizing and developing cutting-edge technology and pushing the envelope to bring stories to life through our movies, products, interactive games, parks and resorts, and media networks. Now is your chance to join our talented team that delivers unparalleled creative content to audiences around the world.
Disney Technology Solutions & Services (DTSS) is responsible for technology strategy and management, central engineering, architecture, IT and technical operations for The Walt Disney Company including virtual worlds, flagship Web sites Disney.com, Disney Family.com, ABC.com and ESPN.com. DTSS provides services in both platform engineering and web operations. Platform engineering includes Content Management Systems, UGC Enforcement Platform, E-commerce, Video Distribution Technology, Registration, Advertising Systems and Data Warehouse & Reporting. The DTSS web operations teams focus on Servers & Hosting and Network Connectivity. DTSS teams are located in Seattle, Bristol, N. Hollywood, Glendale, New York, Burbank, and Orlando.
The Director, Platform Engineering is responsible for the 24 x 7 management and production operations for all infrastructure systems under the management of DTSS. This includes all internally managed and outsourced engineering of the Enterprise Infrastructure Services’, Unix, Linux and Windows Systems; storage systems including enterprise SAN and NAS services; backup / recovery systems, and related functions. Responsibilities include operational management (development through production); systems engineering services; IT governance of these systems; global monitoring standards; patch management currency; budgetary planning and management (capital and operational); business process design and optimization; regulatory compliance functions for all systems within the managerial purview (such as Sarbanes Oxley and PCI), and related responsibilities.
This Leader will be the primary decision maker for standards, methods, and best practices used throughout all areas of responsibility. Decisions made by this leader will have a significant impact on the efficiency and reliability of Disney’s technology operations and supported business functions. This position reports to the Vice President of Enterprise Infrastructure Operations and Service Delivery.
- Datacenter Operations – overall responsibility for datacenter systems such as Unix and Windows servers, storage / enterprise SAN and NAS systems, virtualization systems, public and private cloud services, backup and recovery services, and physical datacenter services management
- Platform management, support, engineering and governance – responsibility for technology infrastructure platform including UNIX, Windows, AIX, AS400, Storage, database and Web Services
- Infrastructure Systems – direct management of our public domains (global), along with internal DNS services management.
- Vendor Management – includes the management of outsourced resources including vendor selection and management, negotiations, contract review and analysis, dispute resolution, ongoing management for engineering and data center scope
- Provide day to day operational support for the Enterprise 7 x 24 Data Centers which includes the following platforms: Windows and Unix systems, Oracle and SQL Server databases, SAN, Cisco network infrastructure, backup services, and various monitoring tools
- Provide oversight and technical guidance all of the physical Data Centers
- Manage the security of the Data Center environment
- Provides overall leadership and direction for the Core Operations Engineering organization in providing comprehensive technology perspective, procedural guidance, and compliance adherence with a strong emphasis on speed, technical competence and precise execution
- Procedural expert whom provides thought leadership and drives execution excellence in ensuring that all technology delivery and support functions are efficient, fast to execute, simple to consume, easy to understand and effectively measured
- Maintains strong relationships with all Segments/Business Units and other Enterprise IT teams – willing consultancy partner, effective listener and business partner capable of both driving standardization in approach but flexibility to the business situation
- Effectively builds and maintains relationships with suppliers, vendors, OEMs and other third parties to ensure consistent and effective delivery of services across the Walt Disney Company
- Defines processes & execution strategy for building new infrastructures in a timely and cost effective manner
- Define, design, implement and evolve build and delivery processes that ensure all products and services promoted into production are consistent with the specification, roadmaps and configuration standards defined by DTSS Architecture and Hosting Engineering teams
- Responsible for developing and measuring the effectiveness of level three support structures and approaches inclusive of measurement and improvement programs
- Ensures that L1/L2 service levels by supplier are maintained and continually improved upon, and ensures all support and remediation processes and procedures are stringently followed
- Key stakeholder and executive sponsor of the Problem Management and Root Cause Analysis processes
- Thought leader, evangelist and change agent for all tools and platforms that support, and influence the Core Operations Engineering function.
- Carries and maintains a relevant and up to date skill set in the areas of x86 hardware technology, Windows, Virtualization, Domain Services, Active Directory, DNS/DHCP, Linux, RISC operating systems, P-Series hardware, SAN, NAS and data protection technologies
- Seasoned technologist whom will identify technology and execution challenges in solutions and products pro-offered by Architecture and Engineering teams as well as outside vendors and OEMs
- Strong experience in advanced technology topics such as automation, application messaging, APIs and cloud technology will be highly beneficial
- Proven track record managing high pressure, highly complex 24 x 7 technology operations.
- Experience managing distributed teams (including outsourced resources), along with multiple facilities. Ability to drive results, both within internal teams, and across multiple departments and business units. Must approach operations management with discipline and rigor.
- Must be familiar (at a level conducive to effective management) with a broad range of technologies and operational disciplines, including:
- Server Platforms, including Windows, Linux, Unix systems, mainframes, AS400s and Teradata platforms
- Enterprise Storage systems, such as EMC SAN, NAS, Object Storage, enterprise backup systems, including libraries, ATLs, and VTLs
- Fiber channel / fabric, such a Brocade or a Cisco director-class platform
- Enterprise integration services, load balancing systems, technology stratification methods and standards
- Virtualization technologies, public and private cloud technologies
- Infrastructure systems - DNS, SSL, Active Directory, FTP, enterprise batch / job management
- Must be proficient with enterprise / best practices governance standards and operational frameworks including COBIT, ITIL and Six Sigma
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Business Administration or equivalent experience (12 years relevant experience; 8 years in a management role, 4 years in a senior management role)
- Only degrees or academic designations earned from AACSB accredited schools will be recognized.
- Master’s in Business Administration (MBA) or MS in technical discipline.
- Only degrees or academic designations earned from AACSB accredited schools will be recognized.
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with The Walt Disney Company (Corporate), which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).
Disney Worldwide Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.