Environmental Operations MgrApply NowApply Later Job ID 10066261 Location Celebration, Florida, United States Business Disney Cruise Line Date posted Nov. 14, 2023
The Environmental Operations Manager is responsible for facilitating the implementation of the environmental compliance program and policy for the Disney Cruise Line fleet and islands.
This position will report to the Manager, Environmental Operations.
- Provides shore support for the onboard Environmental Officers/Island Environmental Managers and shipboard/shoreside personnel on topics related to environmental compliance.
- Ensures the vessels have the necessary information and guidance to meet the requirements of international (e.g., MARPOL); national (Port State and Flag State); regional/local (e.g., ECAs, special areas, ports, etc.) and internal SMS policies.
- Responsible for completing and recordkeeping of hazardous waste determinations for solid wastes generated onboard vessels and private island destinations.
- Contracting and management of global waste services including associated costs and revenues
- Responsible for the day-to-day waste management service needs for the fleet and islands globally.
- Coordinates environmental programs for Dry/Wet dock operations.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining a list of approved waste handling vendors through conducting waste vendor due diligences.
- Manages the company’s Inventory of Hazardous Materials program obtaining required certifications and overseeing the maintenance program.
- Conducts vessel assessments across the fleet verifying compliance with all applicable environmental regulations and company policies.
- Ensures that all of Disney Cruise Line® environmental policies and Location Operating Guidelines (LOGs), are being followed. Initiates follow-up and corrective actions and develops new or existing policy if required.
- Conduct Environmental related investigations as needed.
- Identify lessons learned and common findings from incidents communicating fleet wide.
- Analyze ship itinerary for waste offloading efficiency and determine the most effective ports to offload the various waste streams.
- Maintain and oversee waste related document storage in compliance with all regulatory requirements.
- Identify and implement best management practices for waste management.
- Develops environmental policy and creates amendments to SMS policy, procedures, and LOGs.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining internal Environmental trainings for the fleet and islands related to waste management.
- Safety Management System (SMS) Responsibilities:
- Implementation of the general safety management responsibilities in SMS.
- Responsible for developing and implementing Safety Management System policies and procedures relative to areas of responsibilities.
- Assists in development of marine, technical and safety amendments to SMS policy and procedures for approval.
- Assists and keeps the Manager Environmental Operations informed of on-going and planned matters relevant to issues and materials in the SMS.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in Environmental Management with a focus on compliance and oversight
- Possess excellent written, oral, training and presentation skills.
- Self-motivated, adept at working both independently and in collaborative team settings.
- Strong organizational skills with ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Excellent proficiency in use of Microsoft tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams)
- Must be able to quickly learn and effectively work with new software/programs.
- Experience with administration of rules and regulations and compliance oversight
- Ability to work in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to interpret and analyze complex regulations and explain in layman terms.
- Willing to travel for extended periods including domestically and internationally as required.
- In depth knowledge of cruise ship environmental regulations and operations
- Extensive knowledge of International, regional, and national maritime environmental laws and regulations, such as IMO/MARPOL and US Federal and State regulations
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or Maritime Deck or Engineering License
About Disney Cruise Line:
A leader in the cruise industry, Disney Cruise Line provides a setting where families can reconnect, adults can recharge and children can experience all the magic that Disney has to offer. Guests can sail out of ports around the world on exciting itineraries to the Caribbean, Bahamas, Alaska and Europe, among others. Aboard the fleet of five ships – the Disney Magic, Disney Wonder, Disney Dream, Disney Fantasy and Disney Wish – and Disney’s private island paradise in the Bahamas - Castaway Cay, crew members provide guests with unparalleled service, enchanting storytelling and immersive family entertainment that only Disney can deliver.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: Disney Entertainment, ESPN, Disney Parks, and Experiences and Products. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Magical Cruise Company, Limited, which is part of a business we call Disney Cruise Line.
Magical Cruise Company, Limited is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.