Already applied?View Dashboard
Imagine working side-by-side with industry leaders in your field of study. Imagine building upon the skills you've learned in the classroom within a family of legendary brands passionate about creating world-class experiences on a global scale. Now, imagine yourself in a paid Disney Professional Internship.
Merchandise Strategy & Product Development Internship, FL, Fall 2020Apply Now Apply Later Job ID 738437BR Location Celebration, Florida, United States Business Walt Disney World Resort Date posted Feb. 14, 2020
The Merchandise Strategy & Product Development Internship assists the Merchandiser in developing the vision, business strategy, and quarterly assortment plan based on a detailed knowledge of the product category, understanding of the guest and demography, and knowledge of the competition and overall market place. Critically evaluate the assortment and react to in-season performance/trends as well as hindsights performance and learnings to inform future seasons.
The Merchandise Strategy & Product Development Internship demonstrates an understanding of the connection between financial strategies and related merchandise objectives and uses data to drive decision making. Partners and influences across various cross functional teams to ensure execution of assortment vision.
Responsibilities:Make an impact by…
- Assist leadership in driving category business strategies in alignment with overarching Merchandise and Parks vision to drive profitable revenue growth.
- Work with the Merchandiser to develop category line plan architecture each quarter, synthesizing market trends and white space opportunities, business hindsights, site specific support needs, Studio releases, key park/film anniversaries, and Park Events to drive sales.
- Ensure strategy and assortment execution align with constantly changing guest demands through consistent rigorous analysis of SKU level performance. Review weekly sales performance at a Division/Site/Department/Class/SKU level within the assigned area of responsibility. Produce and assist with any departmental, divisional or company reports in preparation for business reviews.
- Assist Merchandiser with market research by gathering data, including pricing, competitive photos and other information as needed. Regularly particulate in competitive and trend shopping and maintains currency with outside macro, micro, consumer, and category/fashion trends
- Develop seasonal line plans that align category grow/maintain/downtrend positioning with initiatives and product/collection releases and mitigate any year over year content or new release comps gaps.
- Manage to established product development timelines to ensure appropriate internal handoffs and ultimately, on time delivery.
- Understand product lifecycle, trends and financial data at the category level; stay abreast of item level weekly sales trends in order to maximize in season opportunities and minimize end of season inventory liability.
- Assist develop products that support the creative vision for new category business initiatives, franchise based development, and seasonal assortment refreshes.
- Assist develop products for the department that support the overall creative vision, influencing partners (Design, Sourcing, Technical Design, and Vendors) throughout the product development lifecycle to ensure delivery on the product vision and financials targets from ideation through sample approval.
- Create art to product requests based on business strategy and market trends. Work on POVs as needed, and craft creative briefs that meet franchise, trend, and demographic needs, identifying the appropriate amount and type of art assets and stylization to support the business strategy.
- Support Merchandisers in building individual item spec packages. Review, comment on, and approve samples, under the supervision of the Merchandiser.
- Prepare product samples and CADs for presentations and line reviews, including assisting with set up of both visual and electronic product displays. Help maintain the visual display and organization of the category showroom.
- Be knowledgeable of the competitive environment – actively participate in market shopping and stay abreast of macro, micro, and consumer/fashion trends to drive new thinking in the business.
- Identify product voids/white space opportunities through intimate understanding of the customer in order to strengthen the overall assortment.
- Be a role model within the company by working collaboratively with partners and leading by example as a key change enabler to create an environment of agility and continuous improvement.
- Key Partners: Cross Category Merchandisers, Category Planning, Visual Merchandising, Disney Creative Group, R&D, Global Sourcing, Franchise Planning, Location Planning, Site Operating Partners
Basic Qualifications:Basic Qualifications:
- High energy, self-starter with an ownership mentality and a passion for retail and product development.
- Creative, disruptive thinker a current working knowledge of the outside retail market, competitive and general retail trends, and guest demographics.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, including comfort with executive-level presentations.
- Strong partnering skills and ability to influence internal stake holders and drive efficient decision-making; not afraid of constructive conflict.
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible while detail oriented; ability to balance conflicting organizational priorities with ability to lead and drive results across large-scale initiatives within specified timeframes.
- Out-of-box problem solver with ability to bring groups together for rapid resolution.
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Sharepoint. Adobe suite a plus.
- Junior, Senior or Graduate level student pursuing a degree in Retail Merchandising, Merchandise Design, Fashion Merchandising or Fashion Design or equivalent.
**College transcripts (official or unofficial) - Please upload your transcript while completing the online application
To upload this document:
- Log into your dashboard
- Click the second tab "Applications"
- Select "Submitted Applications"
- Click on the title of the position for which you would like to attach the transcript
- Click the "Add Files" button
- Under what do you want to add, select Transcript
- Be sure your document is titled in this format: FirstName_LastName_Transcript
- At the time of application, must be enrolled in a college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR must have graduated from a college/university within the past six (6) months OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney Professional Internship
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program.
- Must possess unrestricted work authorization
- Must provide full work availability
- Must provide own transportation to/from work
- Current Active Disney cast members must meet Professional Internship transfer guidelines (for Walt Disney World cast members this is no more than four points and one reprimand in the last six months; for Disneyland cast members this is six months of consecutive service and a performance record clear of any disciplinary issues (warnings, suspensions, etc.) for at least six months)
Program Length: The approximate dates of this internship are June 2020 through January 2021.
FL Housing: A limited amount of company-sponsored housing is available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Recommendation – Print This Role Description: Strong candidates may be invited to complete a phone interview. We strongly encourage applicants to print a copy of this role description so they can refer to it in the event they are selected for a phone interview. Note that this role description will not be accessible once the posting is closed.
About Walt Disney World Resort:
Since opening in 1971, Walt Disney World Resort has played an important role in many childhood and family memories. Today, hundreds of millions of guests from around the globe visit this magical place to enjoy a Disney vacation. Through a combination of creativity, innovation and technology, the resort immerses guests in classic Disney tales and new kinds of family entertainment. Drawing from a rich heritage of storytelling, Walt Disney World Resort cast members bring Disney magic to life through unmatched attention to detail and superior guest service.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Destinations, LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney World Resort.
Disney Destinations, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.