Technical Director (Project Hire/Temporary Assignment)Apply NowApply Later Job ID 10063520 Location Celebration, Florida, United States Business Walt Disney Imagineering Date posted Sep. 14, 2023
Through innovative storytelling and a culture of collaboration, Disney Live Entertainment creates, produces, and delivers remarkable and engaging entertainment experiences. From the intimate to the spectacular, our work can be seen at Disney theme parks, resort hotels, cruise ships, and other locations the world over. This diverse team – representing a wide variety of disciplines and talents from technical directors, writers, and lighting designers to choreographers, cosmetologists, and music producers – brings magical worlds to life through technical expertise, performance excellence, incomparable ingenuity, unparalleled spectacle… and a dash of pixie dust.
The Technical Director, supporting Disney Cruise Line, is responsible for leading technical production efforts related to the development of live entertainment shows and product offerings, including stage shows, deck shows, youth activities, and special events for Disney Cruise Line ships and islands. The Technical Director will ensure compliance with company standards, maritime regulations and local authority having jurisdiction related to live entertainment shows and product offerings for Disney Cruise Line Entertainment.
You will report to the Manager, Entertainment Technical Design and Delivery
- Lead development, production and delivery of the technical design elements for live entertainment projects, with a specialized focus on the design, fabrication, installation, and sustainment.
- Serve as a project leader to facilitate and integrate all design disciplines, and maintain project files, design documents, bid packages, schedules, and punch lists.
- Provide leadership and functions as a mentor/developer, promotes company-wide standards and efficiencies, and provides professional guidance to partners and team members.
- Participate in creative development and coordinate/partner with local and government authorities responsible for legal code compliance, including safety, engineering and ADA.
- Coordinate bid processes and vendor selection with contracts and procurement.
- Managing vendor efforts including design development, construction, fabrication, integration with other vendors, shipping, installation and buy-off.
- Consult on maintenance and provides ongoing Entertainment Show Quality evaluations in partnership with Entertainment Technical Operations as part of implementation and operational planning.
- Partners with shoreside Entertainment Technical Operations to manage scenic and technical sustainment throughout the ships and for island support.
- Partners with shipboard Manager of Entertainment Technical for ongoing entertainment technical support.
- Partners with Disney Cruise Line Safety team to ensure compliance with set policies and procedures as well as all maritime and ship safety standards and Flag compliance.
- Partners with Walt Disney Parks & Resorts Entertainment Standards team to ensure company standards compliance.
- Partners with Worldwide Safety and Design Assurances teams to ensure company standards are met.
- Partner with shoreside Entertainment Technical Leadership, Disney Cruise Line Safety partners and the Standards and Sustainment team to ensure Safety Management Systems and Operating Guideline documentation is up to date and in accordance with current safety and regulatory practices.
Basic Qualifications/You will Have
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in Technical Theater or Live Show Entertainment.
- Proven knowledge and understanding of the operation and artistic application of a wide variety of show systems and technology, including audio, special effects, puppets, lighting, show control systems, video, facilities and rigging.
- Demonstrated knowledge and familiarity with entertainment industry state-of-the-art technologies.
- Experience with facility design, engineering, and construction.
- Strong troubleshooting, problem solving and decision-making skills, often under pressure.
- Strong computer skills (Outlook, Microsoft Suite, AutoCAD).
- Experience supporting the creative process by collaborating with other designers, directors, writers, and producers.
- Ability to be flexible with work schedule, including nights, weekends, holidays and frequent extended international travel.
- Bachelor’s degree in Technical Theater or equivalent with focus on technical design, construction, and production.
- Proven business management experience.
- Proven knowledge and proficiency in some or all of the following engineering disciplines: Structural, Mechanical, Electrical, Software, Safety
Benefits and Perks: Disney offers a rewards package to help you live your best life. This includes health and savings benefits, educational opportunities and special extras that only Disney can provide. Learn more about our benefits and perks at https://jobs.disneycareers.com/benefits.
This is a 24-month Project Hire/Internal Assignment position with no guarantee of permanent placement.
About Walt Disney Imagineering:
Founded in 1952 as WED Enterprises to design and build the world’s first theme park — Disneyland — Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is where imagination and creativity combine with cutting-edge technology to create unforgettable experiences. WDI is the creative force that imagines, designs and builds all Disney theme parks, resorts, attractions and cruise ships worldwide. Imagineering’s unique strength comes from its diverse global team of creative and technical professionals, who build on Disney’s legacy of storytelling to pioneer new forms of entertainment. The Imagineers who practice this unique blend of art and science work in more than 100 disciplines to shepherd an idea all the way from “blue sky” concept phase to opening day.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: Disney Entertainment, ESPN, Disney Parks, and Experiences and Products. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Entertainment Productions, which is part of a business we call Walt Disney Imagineering.
Disney Entertainment Productions is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.