Senior Attorney supporting Tokyo Disney ResortApply Now Job ID 746696BR Location Chiba, Japan Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted 02/07/2020
Job Summary:As a member of a legal team currently comprised of a head lawyer, a paralegal and an administrative assistant, the person in this position will be responsible for supporting the head lawyer and working with the other members of the legal team and the business teams to provide legal support covering a variety of issues (including corporate/commercial, intellectual property, labor law, privacy, etc.) related to Disney’s business in Japan and, in particular, Disney’s business relationship with Oriental Land Company (the licensee and operator of the Tokyo Disney Resort).
Responsibilities:- Review and draft contracts
- Draft memoranda and correspondence
- Interpret agreements and provide advice on contractual and legal issues
-Advise regarding regulatory and other legal compliance issues
- Liaise and coordinate with lawyers and business people in Disney offices within Japan and worldwide
- Liaise and coordinate with lawyers and business people at Oriental Land Company
- Instruct, oversee and manage external counsel
- Educate internal clients regarding a broad range of contractual and legal issues
- Provide other types of legal support as necessary
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with legal and business personnel of different levels of seniority and background
- Attention to detail and a passion to produce first-class work product
Basic Qualifications:- J.D., LL.B., LL.M. or equivalent
- A minimum of 4 years’ experience working as a lawyer, preferably in an international law firm or a multi-national enterprise
- Admitted to practice law in Japan or an English-speaking jurisdiction
- Knowledge and experience in one or more of the following areas of Japanese law: licensing, corporate, commercial (marketing/sales) and intellectual property
- Language Skills:
-Proficient Japanese language ability in negotiating, drafting and reading
-Proficient English language ability in negotiating, drafting and reading
-Proficient verbal communication skills in Japanese and English
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; the upcoming Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney-branded streaming platforms, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Direct-to-Consumer and International, which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.