WLS, Race & Culture Multi-Skilled JournalistApply NowApply Later Job ID 10040793 Location Chicago, Illinois, United States Business ABC Owned TV Stations Date posted Feb. 08, 2023
Race & Culture Multi-Skilled Journalist
ABC 7 Chicago is seeking to hire a multi-skilled journalist to cover the Race and Culture beat. The journalist must be a passionate storyteller, brilliant multi-platform content creator, effective communicator and proven collaborator.
This position will work directly with the newsroom management team and decision makers to select and create content. The journalist will be part of the editorial decision-making process as it relates to story assignments, sourcing subjects featured in stories and developing community relationships to expand the diversity of voices included in our storytelling. The journalist will also work with the ABC Owned Station Race & Culture Executive Producer and Race & Culture reporters from other ABC-owned stations to collaborate and create content that may be distributed across all OTV platforms.
- Storytelling with an emphasis on featuring voices and stories that often go untold and to bring a more diverse perspective to the stories told on a daily basis.
- Lead and facilitate diversity & inclusion editorial discussions.
- The ideal candidate will be responsible for offering creative and innovative ideas for better story-telling as well as have the ability to work under deadline. They will also collaborate with other stations and teams for joint projects or special features and brainstorm different story angles and ways to increase social media presence. Understanding of digital platforms and social media preferred.
- 5 years of journalism experience; Significant experience producing longform content
- Must have the proven ability to take a story from concept to completion, including researching, interviewing, shooting, producing, writing, editing and presenting across all platforms
- Significant reporting experience and sources in the area of Race & Culture
- Candidates must be able to effectively manage story assignments and production in addition to collaborating with the Race & Culture Executive Producer and multi-skilled journalists across OTV’s 8 markets
- Insatiable curiosity - you just have to dig deeper to find the truth
- Strong editorial judgement
- Tenacity to pitch the stories you believe in
- Experience performing well under pressure
- A pro at social media and other digital tools
- Bachelor’s degree required
- This is a SAG-AFTRA-represented position.
- This role is considered on-site, which means the employee will work from a Company designated location on an ongoing basis.
- Reporting Location – Chicago, IL
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: Disney Entertainment, ESPN, Disney Parks, and Experiences and Products. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with WLS Television, Inc., which is part of a business we call ABC Owned TV Stations.
WLS Television, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.