Assistant News Director, WTVDApply NowApply Later Job ID 868968BR Location Durham, North Carolina, United States Business ABC Owned TV Stations Date posted Oct. 20, 2021
The ideal candidate will have strong editorial judgement, leadership skills, and is passionate about creating memorable and impactful content. The Assistant News Director collaborates with the News Director, and other members of the News management team, to execute strategic vision for creating high impact content, innovating multi-platform storytelling and developing newsroom systems that support strategic goals.
- Leads daily newsgathering and content presentation across all platforms
- Aggressively leads breaking news and severe weather coverage
- Responsible for overall look and editorial content of daily linear newscasts
- Reviews newscasts to ensure goals and objectives are met
- Works with Digital Strategy Lead to reach digital, social and streaming goals
- Evaluates performance of news team
- Supervise EPs, producers, reporters and anchors
- Works closely with News Director on recruitment and development
- Leads specials production and high impact content projects as assigned
- Develops and implements plans for sweeps, special reports, investigative/consumer reports, election coverage, and documentaries
- Identifies opportunities for special news coverage and strategic advantages
- Manages franchise stories
- Coordinate schedules and supervise team contributing to producing special content
- Minimum of 5 years of local news management experience and major understanding of news content in the digital/social world
- Detail-oriented and understands how the content drives the storytelling format for various platforms
- Works effectively under deadline pressure
- Must be flexible with working hours and adaptable to change
- Ability to make logical decisions in a fast-paced environment
- Bachelor’s degree (preferred in Journalism) or equivalent work experience
About ABC Owned TV Stations:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with WTVD Television, LLC, which is part of a business segment we call ABC Owned TV Stations.
WTVD Television, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.