Already applied?View Dashboard
Imagine working side-by-side with industry leaders in your field of study. Imagine building upon the skills you've learned in the classroom within a family of legendary brands passionate about creating world-class experiences on a global scale. Now, imagine yourself in a paid Disney Professional Internship.
Local News Internship, WTVD/ABC 11 (Raleigh/Durham, NC) - Fall 2019Apply Now Apply Later Job ID 667450BR Location Durham, North Carolina, United States Business Walt Disney Television Date posted Jun. 12, 2019
The I-Team unit responds to viewers who need help or feel as though they have been ripped off or wronged. The I-Team looks for patterns of complaints attached to certain companies to warn other viewers. We also alert viewers to data and privacy concerns and find stories that have broad warnings, which can help improve people’s everyday lives.
The Consumer division of the I-Team also proactively digs for other stories through research and the use of the Freedom of Information Act to uncover wrongdoing and problems which affect consumer’s pocketbooks.
As an intern, you will have a unique, hands-on, opportunity to experience what it takes to work at a local television station. You will learn about the news-gathering process, on-air execution, and behind-the-scenes technology.
A day in the life…
- Work closely with reporters, producers and the digital team
- Attend shoots and interviews with reporter and/or photographer
- Log interviews with use of Dalet
- Set up interviews
- Submit FOIAs
- Help find digital original stories
- Write to television and digital
What you bring to the role…
- Highly motivated college junior/senior majoring in Journalism or Communications
- Knowledge of how to log interviews, screen calls, and emails
- Some editorial experience on rooting out a story
- Strong communication skills to talk to callers
- Previous experience with an internship at a TV station important
Preferred Qualifications:Judgment of what may or may not be an investigation
Studying journalism or broadcast television in college
Additional Information:Internship Eligibility:
- Must possess unrestricted work authorization
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must currently be enrolled in an accredited college or university and taking at least one class – OR – be a recent graduate of an accredited college or university within the last six (6) months - OR - be currently participating in the Disney College Program, Disney Culinary Program or Disney Professional Internship Program
- Must be willing to provide your own housing and transportation for the duration of the internship
- Must be able to have a consistent, reliable work schedule throughout the session
- Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program
- Must be available from September to December
- Must be willing to work 2 to 3 days per week for a total of 10 hours each week, for a total of 120 hours over the course of a semester
About Walt Disney Television:
Walt Disney Television (WDT) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, WDT offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, WDT includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with WTVD Television, LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Television.
WTVD Television, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.