WTVD, News Operations ManagerApply NowApply Later Job ID 2105178020220422 Location Durham, North Carolina, United States Business ABC Owned TV Stations Date posted Jul. 24, 2022 Flex Type On-Site
- This role is considered on-site, which means the employee will work from a Company designated location on an ongoing basis.
ABC11/WTVD, the ABC Owned Television station in Raleigh-Durham-Fayetteville, NC has an immediate opening for a News Operations Manager to help lead our multi-platform newsroom into the future of newsgathering. The ideal candidate will have experience working in a multi-platform news environment, gathering and delivering content with multiple technologies.
ABC11 is committed to recruiting and retaining employees who reflect the communities we serve, at all levels of the company. We expect our employees to have a high degree of ethics and a strong ability to work as a team while displaying empathy and inclusion. We also strive to create content that authentically engages and connects with our diverse audience.
- Manage station's news photographers, media managers and editors; provide those employees with feedback and ensure high-quality production values on all platforms
- Schedule photographers, gear and vehicles
- Oversee maintenance of news vehicles
- Troubleshoot equipment issues and serve as primary technical liaison between news and Broadcast Technology/Engineering departments
- Plan technical and operational aspects of special events coverage, such as election night, major breaking news, sporting events, and station events.
- Coordinate live, remote events with news, programming, and engineering departments
- Define workflows in the field, edit area and transmission
- Monitor new and emerging technologies and evaluate how those technologies can enhance and streamline news workflows
- Work with VP/news director on capital and operational budget development
- Take lead on all newsgathering safety and risk management issues
- Develop and maintain vendor relationships; negotiate services
- Adhere to Disney policies and best practices for a broadcast/news environment
Basic Qualifications :The ideal candidate will have an in-depth knowledge of field newsgathering and edit operations; significant experience dealing with the demands of a 24/7 news operation and the pressures of executing breaking news; knowledge of new and emerging newsgathering technologies; and superb communication and organizational skills.
- Possess strong leadership and organizational skills.
- Have excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Be able to function efficiently in a modern, fast-paced newsroom environment.
- Demonstrate the ability to manage changing priorities and deadlines under pressure.
- Understand and have experience with modern newsgathering and transmission technologies (live streaming, bonded cellular, IP over KU-band satellite, accelerated data transfer services).
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to identify and resolve issues.
- Strong technical skills: Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Deliverable-focused, strong work ethic, able to prioritize and resolve an array of issues simultaneously.
- Innovative orientation with a proactive approach to problem-solving.
- Ability to lead and develop a team.
- Team player with a great attitude with the ability to interact with and build strong relationships across multiple levels of employees and clients within and outside the organization
Preferred Qualifications :Experience with the following is a plus:
- Dalet Galaxy (Media Asset Management system) and OneCut
- Ross Overdrive and Xpression
- ENG/SNG gathering vehicles and technologies (Microwave, satellite, bonded cellular, etc.)
- Adobe Creative Software Products
Preferred Education :
- At least five years of experience as a news photographer with a four-year degree or equivalent experience preferred
About ABC Owned TV Stations:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with WTVD Television, LLC, which is part of a business we call ABC Owned TV Stations.
WTVD Television, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.