Art Intern - Summer 2023Apply NowApply Later Job ID R-03538 Location Emeryville, California, United States Business Pixar Animation Studios Date posted Dec. 07, 2022
Please read through this job description thoroughly before applying. There are submission requirements that will knock you out of the candidate pool if not included.
Imagine getting a script page with a description of a decrepit old house in the midst of a charming neighborhood. What type of architecture conveys the spooky mood of the house? What colors show its age and what the house once was before all of the decay? What type of lighting will make the audience a little bit nervous while still giving the viewer clarity around where the front door is located? Is the type font on the welcome mat trying to tell us something about what’s about to happen? What does a little girl look like who’s brave enough to knock on the front door but too scared to do so without her hands shaking?
If you think it would be fun and interesting to answer these types of questions with your drawings, then perhaps an internship in the Pixar Art Department is for you! There are four major disciplines within our Art Department. Here are some descriptions to pique your interest:
Character Design: Determines what the characters of our films will look like and explores their personalities
Set Design: Designs the world and environments where our stories take place
Color / Shading / Lighting Design: Explores mood, emotion and character/world textures all through color
Graphic Design: Uses typography and design to add details that bring story and authenticity to our films
Note: These are four unique areas of specialization and you must include a cover letter with your portfolio submission and resume ranking them from 1 (you are most skilled/interested) to 4 (you are least skilled/interested).
During our 12-week Summer Internship, Art Interns will work in collaboration with mentors and the Art Department gaining valuable feature film experience. As an intern, you will do the following:
- Gain knowledge about the Pixar production process and pipeline through classes, collaboration and mentorship
- Research and collect reference materials to inspire your designs and techniques
- Practice your skill in various disciplines via hands on creation of art under the guidance of a mentor from the art department
- Other duties as assigned
- You have an interest in visual storytelling, showing your strengths in illustration, drawing, painting, animation and/or graphic design
- Enjoy working collaboratively
- Possess a working knowledge of Photoshop
- Can share a link to your portfolio of minimally 10-20 images
- You have a positive outlook and a strong work ethic
- You are in a phase of learning through a traditional or non-traditional path (see eligibility below)
- You are available to work full-time Mon 6.5.23 - Fri 8.25.23
- You already possess the legal right to work in the United States
Traditional Academic Paths:
- Currently enrolled as a junior or greater in a collegiate program
- Recent grads who are in their first year post graduation are still eligible to apply
Less Traditional Professional Paths:
- Career Transition: Those with a minimum of 5 years post-college graduation and whose professional experiences in a work/academic environment differ vastly from animation, VFX, gaming, and other computer graphics-focused industries
- Armed Forces: Those who have served in the armed forces and are in a retraining program
- Home Schooled: Those who are self-taught via an alternative educational path
- Unfortunately, we are not able to sponsor student / intern visas at this time
Submission Process and Application Materials (Please Read Carefully):
- Attach a single PDF file containing your resume and a cover letter ranking your skill/interest in one of the four areas listed: Character Design, Set Design, Color/Shading/Lighting Design or Graphic Design. If you do not include a cover letter self-identifying your unique area of skill, we will not be able to review your information
- Provide a link to your online demo reel or portfolio in the "Demo Reel” section of the application; without this, you are not eligible for the internship. If it has a password, please be sure to include an accurate password. Please note: social media pages are not an acceptable format for a demo reel or portfolio
- In submitting your application, you are agreeing to the terms of our Submission Release Form. Without this, we are unable to consider your application
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Sunday, February 12, 2023
The pay rate for this internship in Emeryville is $21.20 per hour.
About Pixar Animation Studios:
Pixar Animation Studios, a wholly owned subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company, is an Academy Award®-winning film studio with world-renoinswned technical, creative and production capabilities in the art of computer animation. The Northern California studio has created some of the most successful and beloved animated films of all time, including “Toy Story,” “Monsters, Inc.,” “Cars,” “The Incredibles,” “Ratatouille,” “WALL•E,” “Up,” “Toy Story 3,” “Brave,” “Inside Out,” and “Coco.” Its movies have won 35 Academy Awards® and have grossed more than $13 billion at the worldwide box office to date.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Pixar Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Pixar Animation Studios.
Pixar Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.