Technical Director, Set ExtensionsApply NowApply Later Job ID R-02786 Location Emeryville, California, United States Business Pixar Animation Studios Date posted Mar. 05, 2021
The Set Extension team uses both hand crafted and procedural techniques to create different aspects of the environments in our films, such as:
- Procedurally dress large-scale versions of Municiberg and New Urbem for Incredibles II
- Build volumetric cloudscapes for The Good Dinosaur, Onward, Luca
- Procedurally model the Great Beyond and Personality Pavilions for Soul
- Procedurally model/dress cobwebs and dust inside the antiques store for Toy Story 4
- Generate light animations for the carnival rides and booths for Toy Story 4
- Matte paint set extensions for Soul, Coco, and Onward
- Build complex, distant, and/or dynamic sets-- specific methods can play to your strengths as an artist, but skills often include 2-3 of the following: modeling, shading, dressing, painting, animation, simulation, and lighting, plus collaborating with specialists outside your skill set
- Design, develop, support, and use technical pipelines for innovative and non-traditional approaches to constructing sets
- Solve problems creatively with an understanding of how sets enhance storytelling and are used by downstream departments (layout, animation, effects, lighting, rendering)
- Artistic flexibility and versatility with the ability to interpret concept art and adapt to direction from the Director, Production Designer, and Directors of Photography
- Interest in the breadth of the Technical Director pipeline (including Lighting and Compositing)
- Capacity to work collaboratively with the technical and artistic teams, understanding diverse workflows and developing tools to address user needs
- Strong design and color sense; a solid sense of sculptural form and detail; familiarity with lighting and composition in physical media or CG
- Expertise in 3D software such as Houdini, Maya
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to present ideas in a clear concise manner
- Ability to complete projects within a fast paced, dynamic, deadline driven environment
- Strong organizational and follow through skills
- Programming / scripting skills are a plus
- Experience working with 3D volumes is a plus
About Pixar Animation Studios:
Pixar Animation Studios, a wholly owned subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company, is an Academy Award®-winning film studio with world-renowned technical, creative and production capabilities in the art of computer animation. The Northern California studio has created some of the most successful and beloved animated films of all time, including “Toy Story,” “Monsters, Inc.,” “Cars,” “The Incredibles,” “Ratatouille,” “WALL•E,” “Up,” “Toy Story 3,” “Brave,” “Inside Out,” and “Coco.” Its movies have won 35 Academy Awards® and have grossed more than $13 billion at the worldwide box office to date.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Pixar Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Pixar Animation Studios.
Pixar Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.