Already applied?View Dashboard
Architect Principal (Resorts)Apply Now Apply Later Job ID 450610BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Walt Disney Imagineering Date posted May. 29, 2018
Job Summary:"We create happiness.” That’s our motto at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. And it permeates everything we do. At Disney, you’ll help inspire that magic by enabling our teams to push the limits of entertainment and create the never-before-seen!
Walt Disney Imagineering is the master planning, creative development, design, engineering, production, project management, and research and development arm of The Walt Disney Company. Its talented corps of Imagineers is responsible for the creation - from concept initiation through installation - of all Disney Resorts, theme parks and attractions, real estate developments, regional entertainment venues, and new media projects.
This Principal Architect position is for a deluxe hotel to be located at Disneyland resort. This role requires a minimum of 12 years of related resorts experience and a person who possesses both creative and managerial skills capable of leading both internal and external consultant design teams. This role will support and work closely with the Portfolio Creative Executive – Global Resorts and will collaborate closely with the internal Project Manager and Design Manager assigned to the project. This role is part of an internal team of 2-4 Environmental Design & Engineering (ED&E) discipline leads (architecture/interiors/landscape/engineering) that act as the day to day managers of the hotel process. This team will organize and guide the efforts of the external Design Architect & Architect of Record (AOR) including a full array of required sub-consultants. Our internal team will collaboratively work to ensure the integrity of our brand, to guide the creative design and technical development of the hotel, to act as liason between our external and internal stakeholders and to drive delivery as is required to support the project goals.
This role will reside in Glendale and functionally report to Architectural Design Studio Executive as a member of the Architectural Design Studio.
- Ensure the Creative Design Intent is maintained throughout the design and construction phases of the project
- Create Environmental Design & Engineering (ED&E) staffing plan and develop the consulting strategy to achieve quality deliverables
- Share responsibility with the PM for the on-boarding of internal and consultant talent
- Work with Planner to develop appropriate timelines for the project lifecycle schedule
- Liaise with Estimators and provide risk analyses for ED&E disciplines
- Develop and employ a practice technologies strategy appropriate to the project
- Liaise with Menu and Master Planning to ensure adherence to long-term vision
- Track soft costs and predict future soft cost spend - review labor reports to ensure adherence to budget
- Ensure deliverables during each project phase are achieved on time and within budget
- Manage ED&E input to progress facility design and construction while partnering with operating partners
- Develop the Scope of Work/Request for Proposal documents
- Oversee constructible sets of drawings and specifications for the facility that meet original design intent
- Oversee the implementation of technical specifications
- Manage material and FF&A product specification approvals
- Manage VE and add-back exercises throughout the design phase
- Primary responsibility for organizing, programming and leading regular design sessions (Integrated Concurrent Engineering)
- Manage the integration of stakeholder inputs and comments
- Manage vendors’ contractual obligations, including the evaluation of any requests for additional services, the preparation of directives, the negotiation of all changes, and the incorporation of any agreed-upon changes into the vendors agreement
- Work with metrics teams to develop and enhance processes and systems to ensure consistent quality and delivery on future projects
- Develop and implement QA/QC process
- Minimum 12 years of turn-key projects experience within hotel and entertainment/theme park industry
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Industry organizations membership or participation such as AIA, ULI, HD expo, TEA, SATE
- Contract/vendor management experience
- Hand/Computer drawing/drafting skills
- Experience with Revit, Sketch Up, ACAD, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and PowerPoint/Keynote desired to be able to manage deliverables and assist with as needed design tasks and presentations
- Knowledge of forecasting and budget allocation techniques
- A BA/BArch degree from an accredited program
- U.S. Professional License credential
- An advanced degree in Architecture, Landscape or Urban Planning is desirable
About Walt Disney Imagineering:
Founded in 1952 as WED Enterprises to design and build the world’s first theme park — Disneyland — Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is where imagination and creativity combine with cutting-edge technology to create unforgettable experiences. WDI is the creative force that imagines, designs and builds all Disney theme parks, resorts, attractions and cruise ships worldwide. Imagineering’s unique strength comes from its diverse global team of creative and technical professionals, who build on Disney’s legacy of storytelling to pioneer new forms of entertainment. The Imagineers who practice this unique blend of art and science work in more than 100 disciplines to shepherd an idea all the way from “blue sky” concept phase to opening day.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Imagineering.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.