Already applied?View Dashboard
Art DirectorApply Now Apply Later Job ID 692742BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Parks, Experiences and Products Date posted Aug. 06, 2019
- Oversee a vast and diverse portfolio of games from a visual and graphics perspective; establish high-bar standards on the target device, benchmark competing titles, and provide recommendations to develop and improve overall visual quality.
- Review all art and visual design submissions from our external licensing partners including but not limited to game, digital, and marketing assets - character, world designs, 3D models, and animations, key art, promotional art, etc.; ensure all material submitted meets our Disney and Pixar brand and quality requirements.
- Generate insightful, clear, and concise guidance and direction to our licensees and dev teams through reference decks, written notes, draw-overs, and/or paint-overs with the goal of coaching and helping them understand our brands while helping them achieve approval status.
- Manage a lean but effective team of talented Artists; effectively distribute project workload; provide talent development across multiple categories including: artistic development, creative negotiation, partner communication, and feedback workflow and process.
- Meet with Filmmakers, Production Designers, and Creatives from Pixar and WDAS to communicate the art direction and visual style for our digital products and submissions.
- Build and maintain relationships with Pixar and WDAS Production Designers, Art Directors, and Creatives in order to bridge the gap between Development and Studios Teams; work directly with Pixar and WDAS when appropriate.
- Attend art reviews with Creative Staff at Pixar and WDAS; generate notes and share feedback with our licensees and dev teams.
- Gather, develop, and provide brand guidelines and materials from Pixar and WDAS including style guides, reference guides, and artwork.
- Research, identify, and explore new visual styles and executions of our characters and worlds that are authentic and appealing; provide suggestions to our licensing partners while encouraging their own creative exploration.
- Balance the requirements of our licensees, brand, and key stakeholders while delivering against our collective product goals.
- Partner with our Game and Creative Teams to develop high-quality, polished, and informative style guides and product bibles for new games; identify corresponding materials, partner with our dev teams to collect content, and set appropriate check points for delivery and distribution.
- Acquire deep understanding of ‘new’ brands being developed by Pixar and WDAS; share relevant information with our licensees in the form of reference guides.
- Collaborate with Creatives from across the Games and Interactive Experiences Division sharing ideas, best practices, and creative methods.
- Partner with Production, Franchise, and Creative Teams to generate new game conceits, setups, and visual explorations.
- Attend film screenings at Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios.
- Minimum of 7 - 10 years of gaming experience and has held a position of Lead Artist, Art Director or Creative Director for at least 2 years.
- Excellent art and design draftsmanship skills with the ability to draw, design, and paint digitally.
- An eye for detail and style, as demonstrated by a top-rate portfolio or demo reel.
- Broad and deep understanding of Disney and Pixar brands.
- Solid understanding of the game development process, tools, and techniques.
- Experience providing creative feedback to external teams, vendors or agencies.
- Familiarity with the CG filmmaking process.
- Able to collaborate effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong strategic, analytical, and objective decision maker; always working towards solutions.
- Highly-motivated with a “can-do” attitude and ability to work in a very dynamic environment.
- Persuasive and effective communication skills (written and verbal) with the ability to influence internally and externally.
- Must be responsive to deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Excellent presentation skills with the ability to present to a diverse set of individuals from different professional backgrounds.
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal, and motivational skills with the ability to maximize team and department performance.
- Experience using Keynote and/or Powerpoint.
- Ability to travel throughout the year as needed.
- Passion for the entertainment industry with a focus on interactive and gaming strongly preferred.
- B.A. in Art and/or Design or equivalent education.
About Parks, Experiences and Products:
The Parks, Experiences and Products segment includes Disney’s iconic travel and leisure businesses, which include six resort destinations in the United States, Europe and Asia, a top-rated cruise line, a popular vacation ownership program, and an award-winning guided family adventure business. Disney’s global consumer products operations include the world’s leading licensing business across toys, apparel, home goods, digital games and apps; the world’s largest children’s publisher; Disney store locations around the world; and the shopDisney e-commerce platform.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Online, which is part of a business segment we call Parks, Experiences and Products.
Disney Online is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.