Art Lead, Marvel GamesApply NowApply Later Job ID 779461BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Marvel Entertainment Date posted Mar. 24, 2021
The Art Lead will work closely with the Creative Director and VP, Head of Creative to guide and manage the visual development of multiple Marvel game titles of varying styles, genres, and platforms. They will work with each team and provide them with visual guidance and brand feedback, they will help the partners define each game’s style parameters, and to elevate our visual quality standards across our diverse and growing portfolio of mobile, console, PC, and VR games.
- Communicate and collaborate directly with external game development teams to guide the products’ visual progress from beginning to end.
- Regularly review game art and marketing materials to ensure content is high quality and on brand.
- Establish visual standards and provide recommendations to elevate the overall quality.
- Provide art feedback on 2D concepts, 3D art, animation, VFX, and UI by creating paint-overs, mockups, and draw-overs to illustrate changes and improvements.
- Create original Marvel artwork on an as needed basis for our partners.
- Problem-solve creative and quality issues; identify achievable solutions that deliver brand consistency and appeal, and improve the overall experience.
- Research and identify innovative new visual styles and techniques; provide recommendations for new products and partners.
- Develop style guides and brand guidelines; attend film and television screenings and creative summits; share brand knowledge with game development teams.
- Participate in creative brainstorm sessions with partners to identify new ideas and game experiences.
- Meet with game developers both in person and remotely to ensure product vision and quality benchmarks are met.
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of the Marvel brand (past and present) across multiple media including: film, television, comics, and games.
- Help develop and maintain visual directions for our various games and ensure distinct visual identities for each product.
- Create concept art, illustrations, or graphic designs to help communicate our feedback to our partners or to assist them in achieving the project’s visual goals.
- 5+ years of professional experience in console, PC, or mobile games.
- Excellent knowledge of art and visual design principles and techniques relating to character and environmental design.
- Ability to work in a broad range of visual styles.
- Excellent understanding of anatomy and idealized heroic proportions.
- A master of light and color, with a strong sense of design and composition.
- Exceptional draftsman and painter, with the ability to sketch and iterate quickly, and take ideas to a highly polished execution.
- Solid understanding of graphic design principles.
- Strong understanding of game development including: art creation processes (both 2D and 3D), technology requirements and advancements, trade-offs, and challenges associated with development.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple projects, set priorities, and meet deadlines and expectations.
- Able to creatively supervise and drive projects from beginning to end with little assistance or supervision.
- Adept at problem solving (both alone and in groups); ability to evaluate creative, challenges and provide credible and achievable solutions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to provide clear, concise, and actionable feedback and guidance, and present ideas with clarity, conviction, and collaborative understanding.
- Proficient and knowledgeable with Adobe Photoshop is a must; experience with a 3D package (Maya, 3DS Max, etc.) is a plus.
- Sympathetic and champion collaborator that is able to adapt and adjust to a wide variety of studio work styles.
- Self-starter, reliable, and passionate about their work and committed to their discipline and its challenges.
- Knowledge of and authentic love for all things Marvel.
Required EducationBA/BS Degree or relevant experience.
Additional Information:You will need to send:
- Your resume
- A digital portfolio
- A cover letter which should include answers to the following questions:
- Why you are interested in working at Marvel Games?
- What are your top three all-time favorite games? Why?
- If you can be any Marvel Super Hero or Super Villain, which one would you choose and why? Extra credit: choose a character that has not appeared as part of the MCU.
About Marvel Entertainment:
Marvel Entertainment, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company, is one of the world's most prominent character-based entertainment companies, built on a proven library of over 8,000 characters featured in a variety of media over seventy years. Marvel utilizes its character franchises in entertainment, licensing and publishing.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Marvel Brands LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Marvel Entertainment.
Marvel Brands LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.