This is a role that partners with the Executive Producer, Director(s), Line Producer, Production and Creative Executives to execute the creative vision of the show while working within the schedule and budget for the series. In particular, the Assistant Director works closely with the series Directors and the artists on the series to support the Storyboarding, Animatic and Shipping process. As part of the series Creative Leadership, it is expected that the Assistant Director have the ability to manage a team, deal with frequently changing schedules, and tight deadlines. This role requires collaboration and partnership with a diverse group of people in a fast-paced environment.
• Supervise the SB Artists and/or Revisionists in partnership with the episode Director
• Storyboard and/or execute Revisions as needed - The Assistant Director should be a seasoned Storyboard Artist that is capable of executing on high complexity episodes, as requested by the Director or EP
• Cover series Director responsibilities when the Director is unavailable or out of the office
• Attend Hand-Out meetings for assigned episodes and come prepared with any questions, suggestions, concerns keeping in mind creative goals, complexity, schedule and deadlines
• Follow up with the episode Director and SB artist(s) after the hand-out to ensure that the team is clear on the direction and what is expected of them; Consistently check in with the SB artists to ensure they are on the right track
• Approve Storyboard Artwork when delegated by the Director
• Communicate creative issues that may impact the schedule and/or budget to the Director and LP in order to work out solutions in a timely manner
• Work with the Director and Editor on creating the Animatic then with the EP and Editor on finalizing for various stages of production – Board-o-matic, Animatic, Final Lock for Shipping
• Review and correct materials prior to shipment to the overseas studio: Work with the Timing Director, Continuity Coordinator and Production to ensure the episode is complete and has been given final approval by the Director prior to shipment
• Partner with Director to ensure that Executive, Legal and S&P notes are addressed throughout the production process
• Conform Storyboards as needed
• A minimum of 5 years of experience in Story or Animation departments
• Knowledge of Traditional Animation, CG Animation, Visual Effects and/or Video game production
• Knowledge of software and hardware including Cintiq, Toon Boon Storyboard Pro, Photoshop or other applicable storyboarding software
• Strong leadership qualities with the ability to partner with Creatives and Executives, collaborate with peers, and manage and mentor artists
• Ability to oversee multiple projects and solve problems in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to Storyboard and, when applicable, do Sheet Timing
• Ability to align with style and sensibility of show
• Positive attitude with the ability to be flexible
• Excellent organizational, verbal, written, e-social skills and acumen
• Ability to travel outside of the country
Bachelor degree or equivalent work experience
Equal Opportunity Employer--Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
About Disney Television Animation:
Disney Television Animation loves characters. Characters reveal our deepest emotions and what it means to be human… even if you're an animated duck, mouse, muppet, lion, boy or girl. Are you the type of character that loves animation and wants to be part of the team that makes the magic happen? Disney Television Animation, an integral part of The Walt Disney Company, creates many of the company's most beloved animated shows. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals, we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Television Animation.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.