Already applied?View Dashboard
Associate Principal Counsel, Disney Television AnimationApply Now Apply Later Job ID 678526BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Disney Television Animation Date posted Jun. 20, 2019
The Associate Principal Counsel for Disney Television Animation (TVA) will lead Legal Affairs at TVA, and is expected to work in a collaborative fashion with other team members as well as members of related departments, including Business Affairs, Creative, Production, Production Finance, Programming, Marketing, Brand Management, Merchandising/Publishing and Digital Media, reporting to a Principal Counsel, Legal Affairs. The position will have day-to-day responsibilities in connection with the development and production of animated television projects for Disney Channel, Disney XD, Disney Junior and Disney+. Such duties will include negotiating and drafting of contracts relating to the development and production of animation content and related studio activities; advising on deals, employment law, and rights and legal clearance; and analyzing intellectual property and other related issues.
- Attend meetings with department heads as the legal representative for TVA and communicate directly with producers, writers, directors, development executives and internal employees;
- Meet regularly with business affairs, creative, production and finance executives to collaborate on deal structuring, contractual language, and to advise regarding employment and related issues;
- Negotiate and draft contracts to signature, including agreements for producers, writers, directors, voice talent, production services, vendor agreements, rights acquisition, etc.;
- Successfully liase with talent representatives;
- Analyze and advise regarding intellectual property issues and clearance as to content;
- Work with third party production companies with respect to the development and production of animated television projects; and
- Collaborate with business partners across the company to advise and document as necessary with respect to exploitation of TVA content outside of television exhibition.
- A minimum of 6 or more years of combined experience in a law firm and/or network/studio.
- Superior client communication skills.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Excellent negotiating and drafting skills.
- Excellent creative problem-solving abilities.
- Professional, confident demeanor.
- Exceptional organizational, prioritization and time management skills with the ability to execute against multiple, high-priority projects in a fast-paced environment with a keen attention to detail.
- Strong ability to work independently and to contribute positively as a collaborative member of a team, with a strong commitment to curiosity, learning and excellence.
- Prior production and/or distribution experience, or other entertainment or media experience.
- Experience with respect to guild and union agreements, contract law, first amendment issues, and/or intellectual property law (including defamation, right of publicity, parody).
- Prior litigation experience a plus.
- Prior animation experience a plus.
- Related experience in entertainment-related field, with emphasis on contracts, copyright, trademark and other intellectual property law.
- Experience in employment law, including wrongful termination and wage and hour issues.
- California Bar membership preferred.
- Must have a 4-year degree and a J.D.
- Must be a member in good standing of a State Bar.
About Disney Television Animation:
Disney Television Animation loves characters. Characters reveal our deepest emotions and what it means to be human… even if you're an animated duck, mouse, muppet, lion, boy or girl. Are you the type of character that loves animation and wants to be part of the team that makes the magic happen? Disney Television Animation, an integral part of The Walt Disney Company, creates many of the company's most beloved animated shows. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals, we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney/ABC Cable Services, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Television Animation.
Disney/ABC Cable Services is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.