Already applied?View Dashboard
Controls Systems Engineer, Sr. (Rides and Attractions)Apply Now Apply Later Job ID 641059BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Walt Disney Imagineering Date posted Jun. 06, 2019
Job Summary:“We create happiness.” That’s our motto at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. And it permeates everything we do. At Disney, you’ll help inspire that magic by enabling our teams to push the limits of entertainment and create the never-before-seen!
Hurtling through space, diving down a mountain in a log, careening out of control in the jungle… ever imagine engineering these exhilarating adventures for Disney guests around the world? Superhero flight, outdueling a space fighter, cartoon-like motions… how would you pull these off? Are you interested in the challenges of making these reality-defying, emotive experiences work under real world constraints, while providing the illusion of journeys beyond people’s wildest dreams?
Ride Control Systems Engineers work within WDI’s Ride Studio on one or more ride attraction project teams, and are responsible for systems engineering activities for ride systems, covering all aspects of ride control system design and implementation, as well as integration of mechanical and electrical systems, from concept to commissioning, for a wide variety of innovative ride platforms that include unique requirements for novel rider experiences, high reliability, and inherent safety. They perform in a highly collaborative environment on diverse teams that include both technical and creative members, and are comfortable in environments where scope and requirements change frequently.
Picture yourself being amongst the “first riders” of the ride you just helped design, build, and commission!
Watch the video below to learn more about what a day in the life of an Imagineer is like!
- Manage entire scope to conceive, design, and deliver control systems for a wide variety of complex and innovative ride systems and related equipment ensuring operational performance, reliability, and safety.
- Perform engineering design and analysis for ride systems, with focus on system engineering and control systems.
- Develop control strategies and algorithms for ride attractions, ride vehicles, and motion systems.
- Design, model, and analyze electrical, data communication, and dynamic systems.
- Define control system and network architectures for ride systems.
- Research new products, technologies, and methodologies and conduct trade-off studies.Lead a team of ride control engineers and collaborate with other design and engineering professionals to develop and implement ride control systems.
- Collaborate with attraction development team to define and deliver creative intent.
- Develop and capture requirements and functional specifications in documents, drawings, and models.
- Develop and implement mock-ups and prototypes for proof-of concept efforts.
- Perform hazard assessments and failure modes and effects analysis.
- Develop test requirements and documents and lead ride installation/commissioning efforts.Manage vendors, contractors, and consultants conducting control system design and implementation for ride systems.
- Define and oversee supplier and consultant design and delivery efforts.
- Ensure all delivery and performance requirements have been satisfied.
- Oversee and lead factory test and ride system installation/commissioning efforts.
- At least 5 to 10 years of experience with design, engineering, installation, and commissioning of control systems for electromechanical systems
- Experienced in fail-safe and safety-related system and software design, including defensive design techniques, and defensive programming
- Extensive knowledge of control processors, components, and communication networks used in multi-processing real-time industrial and/or embedded applications
- Demonstrated experience in industrial control system installation, integration and commissioning
- Proficient in software/system algorithm design and modeling methodologies such as UML/SysML
- Solid understanding of communication technologies/protocols: TCP/IP, ProfiNET, Ethernet/IP, EtherCAT
- Knowledge and familiarity with amusement and automation industry standards
- Experience in broad application of control system theory (closed-loop control, MIMO systems, positioning and navigation)
- Proficient in developing and reading electrical schematics and one-line diagrams
- Demonstrated experience in scheduling and estimating control systems development and implementation scope
- Demonstrated experienced in contractor/vendor management and technical contract documents
- Proficient with engineering design tools, including AutoCAD, Matlab, Simulink, Solidworks
- Ability to travel and work both domestically and internationally, for varying durations that could be over 1 year
- Proficient in Rockwell and/or Siemens automation systems architecture and components
- Demonstrated experience in wireless communications for control and monitoring electromechanical system.
- Demonstrated knowledge of international amusement industry standards applicable in France, Hong Kong, or China
- As a minimum a Bachelor of Science Degree in an engineering field from an accredited university
- Some Physics Coursework (Motion Equations / Dynamics) required
- Some Computer Science Coursework highly preferred
- Some System Engineering coursework preferred
- Control Systems Engineering and/or Control Theory a plus
About Walt Disney Imagineering:
Founded in 1952 as WED Enterprises to design and build the world’s first theme park — Disneyland — Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is where imagination and creativity combine with cutting-edge technology to create unforgettable experiences. WDI is the creative force that imagines, designs and builds all Disney theme parks, resorts, attractions and cruise ships worldwide. Imagineering’s unique strength comes from its diverse global team of creative and technical professionals, who build on Disney’s legacy of storytelling to pioneer new forms of entertainment. The Imagineers who practice this unique blend of art and science work in more than 100 disciplines to shepherd an idea all the way from “blue sky” concept phase to opening day.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Imagineering.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.