Counsel – Consumer ProductsApply NowApply Later Job ID 776446BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Company (Corporate) Date posted Mar. 12, 2021
Disney Legal – Consumer Products (DCP Legal) is part of the Legal Department of The Walt Disney Company and provides legal advice to Disney’s consumer products, games, and publishing business, including its licensing and retail businesses. DCP Legal’s primary objective is to work with the business to anticipate, identify, and mitigate risk while also achieving Disney’s strategic business objectives. DCP Legal strives to stay current with emerging legal issues driven by new technologies and Disney’s evolving product portfolio. This role will primarily support the Games and Interactive Experiences (GIE) business within Disney, which is responsible for immersive, interactive experiences across Disney, Pixar, Lucasfilm, Marvel, and Twentieth Century franchises on console, mobile, online, AR/VR, social networks, and connected devices.
The legal team is looking for a Counsel to primarily support the GIE business, with an emphasis on business development and licensing for video games and interactive experiences. In this capacity the candidate will draft and negotiate a high volume of license and other commercial agreements and provide legal advice to GIE teams in connection with their business activities. The candidate may also take on additional responsibilities in support of the DCP Legal team.
- Structure, draft, and negotiate a variety of commercial agreements related to games and interactive experiences, such as game and application licenses, technology license and service agreements, development agreements, distribution agreements, and service and vendor agreements.
- Anticipate and identify risks arising from GIE’s activities and work with stakeholders to find solutions to mitigate those risks and achieve GIE’s business objectives.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a law firm with an emphasis on transactional work, including structuring, negotiating and drafting contracts.
- 1-5 years of experience in a corporate, legal department with a focus on digital media or technology preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong drafting, negotiating and writing skills, as well as the ability to problem solve in an efficient, business-friendly and creative manner.
- An excellent work ethic and commitment to professionalism and integrity; excellent attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate with all levels of co-workers both internal and external.
- Must be willing to take ownership of projects and think proactively.
- Ability to handle a high volume of work and work through projects with minimal supervision.
- Superior organizational skills with the ability to multi-task, and prioritize workload efficiently and effectively.
- Ability to anticipate and understand the implications of agreements, changes in the regulatory or business landscape, and other factors important to the business objectives of the client.
- Law degree from and accredited law school.
- JD or equivalent
- Strong academic credentials
- Admission to California State Bar in good standing or willingness and qualification to be Registered In-House Counsel
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with The Walt Disney Company, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).
The Walt Disney Company is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.