Glendale, California, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 846221BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Sep. 02, 2021
Job Summary:Overview – Group and Department:
Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) Technology creates products, platforms, and innovations for the DMED Segment and the Walt Disney Company by driving the strategic development and use of technology, building scalable systems and products to empower our businesses and engage consumers. Within DMED Technology, this team lives in the Consumer Experiences & Platforms pillar, which includes both product and engineering teams to develop, create, enhance, and grow the DMED Technology digital product portfolio.
This team runs Personalization and Recommendations for DMED Technology digital products, consisting of a wide variety of content across a world-class portfolio with immense scale. You could have a direct impact on personalization growth and commercialization across brands including ESPN, Marvel, ABC, Freeform, National Geographic, and more, accounting for hundreds of millions of consumers each year. If you want to have a hand in enhancing machine learning capabilities and artificial intelligence behind one of the best and most loved companies, this role may be for you. In an age where our consumers are online and seeking the right content at the right time, come be a part of the team behind the magic delivering on that promise!
The Data Scientist will work in our dynamic, interdisciplinary team of data scientists, data engineers, and software engineers. They will have opportunities to work on tasks in any of these disciplines, insofar as they are qualified, but will be focused primarily on data science related tasks (feature engineering, model building, model validation, etc.).
The Data Scientist is a critical position within DMED Technology who specializes in applying statistical methods to meet optimization, personalization, recommendations and efficiency related challenges, in close collaboration with engineering and business partners. You will be primarily focused on delivering value by developing algorithms that drive integral underlying functionality of our various entertainment services. In addition, throughout the algorithm development process, you will perform thorough data analyses and present these findings to stakeholders across the organization to deliver insights about our products and our customers. Collaboration is key to success at Disney, and you are expected to build bridges and maintain communication across various teams throughout any given project, so strong communication skills are a must.
Responsibilities:Responsibilities may include, but not limited to:
- Performing innovative research on content delivery optimization
- Translating business problems into an actionable data science project
- Presenting analyses and models in a clear, easy to understand manner
- Developing, deploying, and supporting ML/AI models
- Building reports and real-time dashboards for our stakeholders
- Developing statistical experiments and analyzing the results
- Process, cleanse, and verify the integrity of data
- Participating in data validation efforts
- Data discovery and exploration tasks
Basic Qualifications:Basic Qualifications
- Master’s degree in a quantitative discipline (statistics, data science, mathematics, economics, etc.)
- 3+ years of work experience in data science, statistics, or predictive analytics
- Deep knowledge of statistical principles and the underlying data assumptions on which they rely
- 1+ year hands-on experience with at least 2 of the following: recommendation systems, deep learning, reinforcement learning, churn modeling, subscriber growth modeling, clustering/segmentation, etc.
- Understanding of software development lifecycle
- Experience working with Python and other data science tools
- The ability to effectively communicate technical ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Familiarity with databases and data retrieval, including SQL
- Hands-on experience with AWS or other similar cloud services
- A passion for data and technology
Preferred Qualifications:Preferred Qualifications
- Previous experience in entertainment
- Knowledge of the video streaming industry
- Demonstrated delivery of machine learning techniques in real-time applications
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.