Glendale, CA - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 643494BR Location Glendale, California, United States; San Jose, California, United States Business Parks, Experiences and Products Date posted 28/02/2019
Job Summary:The DBA reports to the Sr Manager of Technical Operations and will be part of a global DBA team. You will be responsible for various Enterprise databases such as Sybase, Oracle, MSSQL and DB/2 for our Licensing/Publishing and Creative applications. In addition, you will assist in reviewing schemas and queries for customers of our hosted database solutions with an eye towards assisting those customers to optimize their implementations and develop best-in-class performance for their products. This is a high impact position that is critical to helping us maintain our record of high availability and high quality of our data services supporting various Disney properties.
This position requires a working knowledge of Sybase 15.x or newer, running in Solaris operating system. An experience of upgrading Sybase is a plus. The day to day tasks includes space and performance monitoring of the database and scheduled tasks. Environment contains automated tasks for system monitoring and remediation through various scripts, so familiarity in shell scripting is a must. This position is very much as an operation DBA and requires additional familiarity with application related processes to support the application team. The rapid ability to troubleshoot and remediate is required. Two major applications are supported by the Sybase database and require support of international users. This system requires 24/7 support with our on-call rotation.
To expedite consideration, we highly recommend that you BOTH upload your resume AND copy and paste the text when creating your candidate profile.
- Configuration, provisioning, upgrading and decommissioning databases.
- Database tuning for optimization and performance
- Monitoring production deployments for capacity issues, performance and troubleshooting
- Actively participate in production database support. Availability for 24X7 on call rotation support.
- Work with customers to verify and validate schemas and queries for performance and scalability
- Keep abreast of new database capabilities, developments, and products and provide guidance and suggestions for new and improved technologies.
- Keep backups as current as possible and devise restoration techniques with minimal downtime.
- Automation, automation, automation!
- Work collaboratively with the team members when required and train others on the newly acquired competence.
- Work with documentation team to ensure any issues effecting functionality are properly reflected in documentation
- Participate in any corporate wide ventures related to security, operations, automation, development, administration and documentation.
- Stay calm during high-pressure assignments & operations and lead the technical efforts in collaboration with the team.
- Handle change management operations.
- Keep run-books updated for smooth operations.
- 2-5 years of hands on experience administering/monitoring Enterprise Databases
- Significant knowledge of multiple Enterprise database technologies such as: Sybase on Solaris, Oracle on Linux, MSSQL on Windows Server and DB/2 on IBM Linux (minimum knowledge of 2 out of 4)
- Hands on experience with 2 or more other databases is a PLUS; MongoDB, MySQL, Couchbase, Cassandra, Redis.
- Experience with UNIX/Linux scripting (perl/python/bash)
- Excellent Troubleshooting skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to comfortably multitask and work in a fast paced environment
- Ability to demonstrate technical acumen skills within a team of DBAs
- Ability to own a project from start to finish using our 2 weeks sprint agile method
- Thorough understanding of server configuration both hardware and virtualized, and how it affects performance and cost
- Clear understanding of relational and non-relational databases
- Query analysis
- DB Schema design
- TCP dump
- Monitoring skills
- Good scripting skills
- Multi datacenter environments
- Knowledge of cloud operations is a plus
- Knowledge of Virtualization
- High availability and performance tuning techniques
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or engineering equivalent
About Parks, Experiences and Products:
The Parks, Experiences and Products segment includes Disney’s iconic travel and leisure businesses, which include six resort destinations in the United States, Europe and Asia, a top-rated cruise line, a popular vacation ownership program, and an award-winning guided family adventure business. Disney’s global consumer products operations include the world’s leading licensing business across toys, apparel, home goods, digital games and apps; the world’s largest children’s publisher; Disney store locations around the world; and the shopDisney e-commerce platform.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Consumer Products and Interactive Media, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Parks, Experiences and Products.
Disney Consumer Products and Interactive Media, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.