Director, Content Packaging - Disney Publishing WorldwideApply NowApply Later Job ID 775575BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Disney Publishing Worldwide Date posted Mar. 02, 2021
Reporting to the SVP, Publisher, the Director, Content Packaging will play a leadership role in driving DPW's book-to-screen and new franchise adaptation efforts; establishing DPW as the premier literary content engine for TWDC.
- Develop and package franchise concepts in partnership with DPW Editorial teams and TWDC stakeholders
- Partner with DPW Editorial leads to build a robust content pipeline via global IP acquisitions and original IP concepts developed “in-house”
- Partner with key creative and commercial stakeholders to identify franchise opportunities for IP concepts with high potential for product, experience and book-to-screen adaptation
- Collaborate with Product, Experience and Studio stakeholders to conceive and launch co-developed IP concepts with high franchise potential
- Develop comprehensive treatments, tool kits and bibles to support development and proliferation of IP concepts determined to have high franchise potential
- Forge and maintain strong relationships with key creative stakeholders across the TWDC global landscape
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion - Accelerate the development of diverse, relevant franchise concepts which showcase work of underrepresented talent
- Kids & Family - Development of franchise concepts with broad consumer appeal designed to address whitespace current product portfolios
- Educational - Development of character-driven franchises designed to impart supplemental educational concepts to kids 3 to 9
- Local Foreign IP - Development of original franchise concepts, in partnership international offices, designed to appeal to local foreign audiences
- Partner with Disney Parks, Experiences & Products (DPEP) Consumer Engagement and Research teams to access audience demand and demographic fit for each franchise concept
- Lead consumer research testing and focus group efforts in partnership with Consumer Products, Games & Publishing (CPGP) Research team
- Collaborate with Corporate Brand Management to ensure alignment on audience positioning for each franchise concept
- Develop comprehensive road maps which establish clear timelines and milestones for each franchise concept roll out
- Partner with various CPGP commercialization and strategy teams to develop business/financial plans in support of each franchise concept roll-out
- Plan and lead all pitches, showcases and roadshows which showcase new franchise concepts, as well as DPW’s overall content portfolio
- Partner with DPW and DPEP Marketing/Franchise teams to devise bespoke campaigns to ensure successful launch of each franchise concept roll-out
- Partner with Retail Sales and Marketing to devise comprehensive go-to-market strategy for each franchise concept roll-out
- Partner with PR to establish DPW’s reputation as a credible and prolific content engine through ongoing events, promotion, and b-to-b communications
- Manage and develop a diverse and capable team that can engage broadly across the organization and with executives to develop strategic priorities and initiatives
- Builds strong team-oriented relationships with other TWDC business units and regional partners that result in new business and/or cross-promotional opportunities
- Create a workplace environment that encourages collaboration and innovative/creative thinking
- Oversees team member’s development, performance and position specific succession plans.
- 10+ years of overall work experience at a production company, publishing house, creative agency or studio
- Experience working in a matrix/cross cultural/media organization and driving collaboration
- Experience leading teams successfully
- Evidence of effective stakeholder management
- BS/BA, related field strongly preferred
- Strong existing relationships with the creative community and production companies, agents, writers, etc.
- Strategic command of managing a portfolio of content with a demonstrated track record of developing quality content
- Insight into Disney brands and franchises and the qualities that define them
- Strong leadership, organizational skills and emotionally intelligent communicator with a vision
- Demonstrable writing skills and excellent knowledge of story structure in books and scripts
- A self-starting team player will have an entrepreneurial approach; be assertive, enthusiastic and highly motivated
- Leadership Versatility
- Commercial Acumen
- Creative Sensibilities
- Operational Acumen
About Disney Publishing Worldwide:
Disney Publishing Worldwide helps bring our Company’s stories and characters to life through innovative and engaging physical products and digital experiences across more than 100 categories, from toys and t-shirts, to apps, books and console games.The business is home to world-class teams of app and game developers, licensing and retail experts, a leading retail business (Disney Store), artists and storytellers, and technologists who inspire imaginations and bring the magic of Disney into the daily lives of families and fans around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Buena Vista Books, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Disney Publishing Worldwide.
Buena Vista Books, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.