Director, Data Services
Glendale, CA - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 687079BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Studios Date posted 02/07/2019
We tell stories. We tell amazing stories. We blow minds. We don’t just want to dominate the silver screen, we want to dominate the conversation. We’re Disney Studios we own brands like Marvel, LucasFilm, Pixar, Disney Animation, Disney Nature and Hollywood Records. We’d like you to join the Disney Studio Data Services team and make the magic happen through a different kind of story.
Our story starts with a team, innovation and ambition. We’re starting by disrupting the status quo, by approaching problems using bleeding-edge technologies, a lean culture, and a thirst for knowledge. We can do it all. This is only the beginning of our story, join us for the rest.
Data help drive our business at Disney Studios. Marketing teams need the right data signals to market the right event to the right fan at the right time. Product and business leads need easy access to key metrics to measure the health of their business. We are constantly building new products that rely on data to power user experiences, and these products in-turn generate new, valuable data. With so much of our business depending on the comprehensiveness, availability, and accuracy of data, it is critical that Disney Studios have the right team in place to manage it. We are looking for a seasoned leader to help drive our organizational discipline around Data Services. This leader be responsible for ensuring Disney Studio’s core data systems are meeting the needs of the business. This team will have a hand in strategy, requirements definition and prioritization for Data Ingestion, Data Accessibility, and Business Intelligence. Our data services organization won’t just build data products. This team is the bridge between the business needs and our technical capabilities. We’ll create a data-ecosystem that puts the data/business user first, anticipates needs, and gets ahead of how a user might access data to create data services that empower teams to unleash their full potential.
- Lead the Data Ingestion team managing business requirements and prioritization of data being collected from source systems for Marketing, Product, and Business Intelligence uses. Works closely with Source Product and Engineering teams as well as business stakeholders.
- Lead the Business Intelligence development team managing internal BI tool strategy. This team’s core mission is to ensure the comprehensiveness and usability of the BI tools and the data available within.
- Define and maintain overall Data Services strategy and roadmap. Managing Data Services Project Management and Engineering leads. Prioritize team efforts to deliver incremental near-term value while working toward long term vision.
- Partner with Engineering, Privacy, and Compliance Leads to ensure Data Services systems meet all privacy and security requirements
- Regularly communicate product roadmap and status of key initiatives to internal stakeholders and executives.
- Partner with leaders across the lines of business to ensure Data Services team is a consistent thought partner in servicing the various data needs within the organization.
- Establish Product Management best practices within the team, building an organization focused on thoughtfully delivering business value.
- Define, track and improve key metrics and success criteria for major data services initiatives.
- 15+ years of experience leading development and successful launch of back-end data services and/or data-centric business applications
- 5+ years of data domain technology experience
- Ability to prioritize among competing opportunities, balance internal client needs with business priorities, and articulate the rationale behind decisions
- 5+ years of working in an agile environment
- Creative, collaborative thinker with an ability to learn new things, assess problems and identify proactive solutions quickly
- Self-starter, comfortable leading change and getting things done.
- Experience with data analytics or business intelligence platforms preferred
- Bachelor’s degree, with equivalent work experience
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For over 90 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today the Studio brings quality movies, music and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. Feature films are released under the following banners: Disney, including Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios, Disneynature, Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm. The Disney Music Group encompasses the Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records labels, as well as Disney Music Publishing. The Disney Theatrical Group produces and licenses live events, including Disney on Broadway, Disney On Ice and Disney Live!. Ours is a culture of innovation, inspiration and collaboration that brings together visionary artists, gifted technologists and savvy business minds to conjure up magical entertainment experiences for a global audience.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.