Director Engineering, Sports Portfolio
Glendale, California, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 854827BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Sep. 03, 2021
Job Summary:Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) brings together the Company’s best-in-class product, technology, and commercialization teams together into one global organization. DMED is responsible for the P&L management and all distribution, network and engineering operations, sales, advertising, data, and certain key technology functions worldwide for the Company's content engines. DMED also manages operations of the Company's streaming services including Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+, and Disney+ HotStar, as well as domestic broadcast and cable television networks.
DMED Technology creates products, platforms, and innovations for the DMED Segment and The Walt Disney Company by driving the strategic development and use of technology, building scalable systems and products to empower our businesses and engage consumers. With global scale, local presence, and deep technological excellence, DMED Technology helps DMED and The Walt Disney Company optimize technology, platforms, and resources, while bringing creative ideas to life and creating industry-shaping approaches.
The Director, Engineering is a senior leadership position within the Consumer Experiences & Platforms organization of The Walt Disney Company’s DMED Technology division. This role reports to the Vice President, Engineering and is responsible for leading a large, global software engineering team that is responsible for the development of consumer-facing product experiences for TWDC’s growing Sports portfolio while overseeing a tight integration with the NextGen platform/component execution
- The leader must establish a strong, collaborative, and productive partnerships with business and product leaders while being a strategic thinker on key aspects of the product design and engineering architecture.
- This leader will be responsible for developing organizational-level goals, drive the technical and organizational roadmap for the engineering team, and oversee execution and delivery.
- The position requires a senior presence and excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field and 10 years of industry experience.
- Experience building a team of exceptional software engineers and technical leaders
- Track record of delivery in rapidly changing, highly collaborative, multi-site, multi-stakeholder environments
- Experience leading global technology teams with direct report responsibility
- Experience in managing operational and/or financial budgets, including the managing of 3rd party vendors and/or software providers.
- Deep experience in software design and micro-services architecture.
- Deep experience building applications on modern cloud platform.
- Deep experience building mobile applications across major platforms (iOS, Android, web, etc)
- Superb organization, detail-orientation, and project management skills, with the ability to effectively prioritize and balance short and long-term work streams
- Demonstrated experience leading work of others.
- Ability to quickly interpret and synthesize data and information from multiple sources to develop insights and recommendations
- Ability to work independently, with guidance in only the most complex situations
- Highly effective oral and written communications skills, with ability to develop beneficial relationships and networks in order to achieve results
- Experience working at the enterprise level in technology
- High EQ and professional maturity, with demonstrated ability to engage at an executive level
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.