Director, Product Creation and Publishing Technology
Glendale, CA - USApply NowApply Later
Job ID 770139BR Location Glendale, California, United States; Orlando, Florida, United States Business Parks, Experiences and Products Date posted Dec. 03, 2020
Job Summary:Disney Parks, Experiences and Products (DPEP) brings stories and characters to life through innovative and engaging physical products and digital experiences across more than 100 categories, from toys and t-shirts to apps, books, console games and much more. The business is home to world-class teams of app and game developers, licensing and retail experts, leading retail and e-commerce businesses – Disney store and shopDisney.com – as well as renowned artists, storytellers and technologists who inspire imaginations around the world.
This role will lead strategic roadmap, requirements, technical design, development and support of innovative Technology & Digital solutions to help manage Global Product Creation and Publishing operations and business growth in Disney Parks, Experience & Product segment.
- Responsible for defining and delivering technology & digital solutions that help manage Global Product Creation and Publishing business operations and support business growth.
- Collaborates closely with Global Product Creation and Publishing business partners to develop strategic technology roadmap.
- Responsible for implementing critical technology solutions involving $15M+ investments for vertical and licensed Consumer Product business. These technology solutions will include Product Lifecycle Management, Online Product Approval w/ Licensee Portal. Further leverage these significant technology investments and system capabilities for Publishing Business in order to economically replace legacy technology solutions like PubWorld and PUBS.
- Provide frequent communication to the VP, Tech & Digital – Licensing and Publishing on development progress, escalating any issues that could impact the budget, timeline, or strategic vision.
- Meet with stakeholders, partners, and customers on a reoccurring schedule to review team priorities and execution, major incidents and problems, and pertinent business and project updates.
- Ensure ongoing projects and team objectives are resourced effectively to accomplish goals.
- Drive estimates, development plans and lead development and support activities that are executed by both internal and vendor resources
- Partner closely with Engineering Excellence COE to ensure the technical solutions, technical product strategy and architecture deliverables are providing direction for the developers, support teams and engineers working on assigned projects
- Leverages project management and/or agile software development methodologies to significantly increase the frequency and timeliness of delivering new application capabilities.
- Maintain awareness of industry trends, designing innovative solutions to keep The Walt Disney Company at the cutting edge of technology solutions.
- Facilitate clear and consistent communication about schedule, tasks, resources, and budgets to ensure the optimal function of development teams in delivering new capabilities and non-development teams in delivering new business initiatives.
- Demonstrate strong planning, cost analysis, and capacity analysis skills to anticipate customer and management course corrections.
- Provides thought leadership and mentor cast members
- Minimum 10 years of software experience (6+ years of service/API experience, 6+ years of web experience, 5+ years of leadership / management experience)
- Cloud Platform experience
- Demonstrated ownership and accountability of technology & digital roadmap
- Experience successfully leading large scale technology implementations with demostrated depth of understanding business needs, trade-offs among technology architecture alternatives, and hands-on problem solving with programing team to help mitigate project risks.
- Proven ability to manage many competing projects simultaneously, balancing business priorities and team needs.
- Demonstrated desire to understand the technology driving our products, and comfort discussing technical solutions with both technical and non-technical partners.
- Excels in software estimation, project planning, dependency management, schedule analysis
- Automates code delivery and quality with continuous integration/continuous delivery
- Emphasizes maintainability, scalability and defect-free coding via well factored code and CS fundamentals
- Experience leading teams supporting enterprise-scale solutions from both business and technical perspectives.
- Experience delivering software in an Agile environment
- Communicates very well in written and verbal form
- Delegates work effectively
- Coordinates effectively in distributed team environments
- Manages simultaneous software projects and priorities with ease, including conflicting ones
- Builds lasting, strong cross-functional working relationships
- Mentors the engineering team and raises the overall skillset/capabilities over time
- Navigates complex, matrixed organizations with ease
- Proven ability to manage budgets
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science, or equivalent
About Parks, Experiences and Products:
The Parks, Experiences and Products segment includes Disney’s iconic travel and leisure businesses, which include six resort destinations in the United States, Europe and Asia, a top-rated cruise line, a popular vacation ownership program, and an award-winning guided family adventure business. Disney’s global consumer products operations include the world’s leading licensing business across toys, apparel, home goods, digital games and apps; the world’s largest children’s publisher; Disney store locations around the world; and the shopDisney e-commerce platform.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Attractions Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Parks, Experiences and Products.
Walt Disney Attractions Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.