Director, Product DesignApply NowApply Later Job ID 7122931320220515 Location Glendale, California, United States / Town of Bristol, Connecticut, United States / San Francisco, California, United States / New York, New York, United States / Seattle, Washington, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Jul. 27, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid Preferred, Remote Possible
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely. A remote opportunity may be possible for qualified candidates under certain circumstances and, if granted, the employee would work remotely on an ongoing basis.
The Next Generation Storytelling team is seeking a Director, Platform Design with strong user experience, design and communication skills, and deep expertise developing innovative and next generation consumer experiences. This leader will define and own the user experience development of the NGS platform that drives persistent connections with consumers while unlocking new canvases for storytelling. This role requires a combination of team leadership, strong product design strategy skills, creative expertise, passionate execution and accountability.
This role will work with a high performing, cross-functional teams to drive and execute product roadmaps and deliver business impact. This individual will have strong experience in team collaboration, exceptional design skills, strong partner management skills, and will bring an understanding of the interplay between design, product, engineering, and the business to evolve capabilities through partnerships and consumer-centric user experiences.
The ideal candidate will be a skilled cross-functional collaborator, with experience in emerging technology and consumer-oriented technology services. Experience with large scale game platforms – console, mobile F2P interface design, or console dashboard design - is a plus. The role requires a solid foundation in user experience and design, cross-functional team collaboration, and the ability to rapidly synthesize complex information and effectively communicate across multiple stakeholder groups.
- Lead a team of UX designers, product designers, and 3D animators who are responsible for seeing product initiatives through the product lifecycle from discovery to delivery
- Lead the team in conducting user research studies and user-testing, then utilize the results to improve the customer and user experience
- Lead the team in strong design practices - develop user scenarios, user flows, interaction models, wireframes and prototypes to create the ideal user experience
- Advocate and iterate, driven by research and user testing
- Collaborate daily with product managers and developers to translate designs into consumer facing products
- Develop fluency in best practices for user experience and design, as well as strong knowledge of usability principles and techniques
- Lead strategies, planning and specifics around various forms of design research and usability efforts
- Communicate effectively with a high degree of collaboration and influence.
- Demonstrate excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal and analytical skills including the ability to communicate complex, interaction design concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organization
- Effectively communicate with authority and conviction, concepts, best practices for design and reasoning behind UX decisions to key stakeholders
- Work across functional teams to understand business and feature requirements
- BS/BA in Design, User Experiences, Digital Media or related field
- 10+ years of combined relevant experience in UI/UX design, including 5+ years as a leader of UI/UX/design teams – game industry experience is a plus
- Strong understanding of and experience with UI and UX (design, wireframes, mockups, information architecture, user flows)
- Deep knowledge of design languages & interface guidelines for Apple, Android, and web platforms
- Mastery in interaction design and visual design
- Understanding of responsive web design and native apps (iOS, Android)
- A strong portfolio demonstrating past work experience and relevant, user-centered design solutions.
- Experience working with highly technical teams and handle multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Strong relationship-building skills and experience working closely with leaders and cross-functional partners
- Creative and strategic thinker with proven ability to create and deliver strong user experiences and product designs
- Entrepreneurial mindset, proactive thinker with the ability to thrive in an often ambiguous, fast paced environment while navigating a complex organizational structure.
- Ability to think strategically and effectively communicate and execute
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent problem-solving, analytical, team management, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong team player who is also an independent thinker; effective at building relationships, collaborating, and influencing others; experience working with senior executives across various geographies and functions
- Open-minded and able to incorporate constructive feedback
- Relentless desire for innovation, balanced with business needs, and customer expectations.
- Must have a keen eye for great design
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.