Already applied?View Dashboard
Electrical Control Systems Engineer – Ride SystemsApply Now Apply Later Job ID 572570BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Walt Disney Imagineering Date posted Feb. 20, 2019
Job Summary:“We create happiness.” That’s our motto at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. And it permeates everything we do. At Disney, you’ll help inspire that magic by enabling our teams to push the limits of entertainment and create the never-before-seen!
Hurtling through space, diving down a mountain in a log, careening out of control in the jungle… ever imagine engineering these exhilarating adventures for Disney guests around the world? Superhero flight, outdueling a space fighter, cartoon-like motions… how would you pull these off? Are you interested in the challenges of making these reality-defying, emotive experiences work under real world constraints, while providing the illusion of journeys beyond people’s wildest dreams?
Ride Control Systems Engineers work within WDI’s Ride Studio on one or more ride attraction project teams, and are responsible for systems engineering activities for ride systems, covering all aspects of ride control system design and implementation, as well as integration of mechanical and electrical systems, from concept to commissioning, for a wide variety of innovative ride platforms that include unique requirements for novel rider experiences, high reliability, and inherent safety. They perform in a highly collaborative environment on diverse teams that include both technical and creative members, and are comfortable in environments where scope and requirements change frequently.
Picture yourself being amongst the “first riders” of the ride you just helped design, build, and commission!
- Provide department-level technical and administrative oversight for the system design, engineering, installation and commissioning for ride control systems being developed for or installed in the Disney Resorts; this oversight includes Disney employees, leased workers, contractors and ride vendors
- Technically capable to execute and lead all of the hardware and software development; prototyping; simulation; capacity optimization and facility inputs
- Enforce ride engineering policies and procedures at a department level
- Understand and review hardware designs for Disney’s ride control systems
- Ensures that all the design specifications have been met, design reviews conducted with good participation from all concerned stakeholders, and that all tests have been conducted at the factory and the site, all installed software has been catalogued, and change control policies and procedures are established and followed
- Support Facility design for equipment details such as utilities including electrical power and equipment cooling/heating loads
- Troubleshoot and resolve installation conflicts, interferences and other problems
- Technically capable to execute and lead all of the hardware development, prototyping, simulation, capacity optimization, and facility inputs
- Champion the introduction of new technologies and methodologies that could reduce the cost of developing or maintaining systems; adapt quickly to new innovation within the marketplace
- Able to maintain and foster open and ongoing communication with other groups (within or outside the division)
- Able to manage control systems vendors implementing the hardware design for the ride control systems
- Project(s): Provide technical oversight of a couple of small attractions or one large attraction that has some form of a ride control system
- Able to diplomatically communicate technical, political, and managerial concepts orally and in writing
- 5 to 15 years of experience in the engineering field as related to controlling electromechanical systems
- Creative Translator - Clean Sheet Design
- UL / NEC / ASTM
- Able to provide technical guidance at a sy+L44stems hardware level
- Extensive knowledge of Programmable Controllers and General Purpose Computers used in industrial applications
- Experience with hardware design, engineering, installation and commissioning
- Able to understand and implement the basics for the control system design
- Knowledge and familiarity with relevant Industrial Standards
- Ability to assist in the writing of technical documents such as Theory of Operations, Acceptance test Procedures and Requirements Specifications
- System engineering experience with the integration of mechanical and electronic/electrical systems
- Scheduling methods/experience
- Estimating methods/experience
- Manage & Supplement Vendor
- System Integration
- Field Integration (Test & Adjust)
- Engineering Analysis & Simulation
- Software/system modeling methodologies such as UML/SysML
- Understanding of communication technologies/protocols: TCP/IP, CAN, serial, etc.
- Control system theory experience (closed-loop control)
- Electrical troubleshooting skills (voltmeter, oscilloscope, etc.)
- Fail-safe and safety-related software design
- Multitasking software platforms
- Software configuration management/version control tools
- As a minimum a Bachelor of Science Degree from an accredited University
- Some Physics Coursework (Motion Equations / Dynamics) required
- Science (Physics, Computer Science, …), Engineering, and/or Math Double Major or Major-Minor highly preferred
- Some Computer Science Coursework highly preferred
- Some Engineering Coursework highly preferred
- Control Systems Engineering and/or Control Theory a plus
- Hands on project(s) a plus
About Walt Disney Imagineering:
Founded in 1952 as WED Enterprises to design and build the world’s first theme park — Disneyland — Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is where imagination and creativity combine with cutting-edge technology to create unforgettable experiences. WDI is the creative force that imagines, designs and builds all Disney theme parks, resorts, attractions and cruise ships worldwide. Imagineering’s unique strength comes from its diverse global team of creative and technical professionals, who build on Disney’s legacy of storytelling to pioneer new forms of entertainment. The Imagineers who practice this unique blend of art and science work in more than 100 disciplines to shepherd an idea all the way from “blue sky” concept phase to opening day.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Imagineering.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.