Electrical Control Systems Engineer, Sr. – Ride SystemsApply Now Apply Later Job ID 566369BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Parks, Experiences and Products Date posted Dec. 20, 2019
Hurtling through space, diving down a mountain in a log, careening out of control in the jungle… ever imagine engineering these exhilarating adventures for Disney guests around the world? Superhero flight, outdueling a space fighter, cartoon-like motions… how would you pull these off? Are you interested in the challenges of making these reality-defying, emotive experiences work under real world constraints, while providing the illusion of journeys beyond people’s wildest dreams?
Ride Control Hardware Engineers work within WDI’s Ride Studio on ride attraction project teams, and are responsible for control system electrical/electronic hardware engineering activities, covering all aspects of design and implementation of control systems, from concept to commissioning, for a wide variety of innovative ride platforms that include unique requirements for novel rider experiences, high reliability, and inherent safety. They perform in a highly collaborative environment on diverse teams that include both technical and creative members, and are comfortable in environments where scope and requirements change frequently.
Picture yourself being amongst the “first riders” of the ride you just helped design, build, and commission!
Watch the video below to learn more about what a day in the life of an Imagineer is like!
Responsibilities:Perform engineering design and analysis for ride systems, with focus on electrical and control systems.
- Develop control system and network architectures for ride attractions, ride vehicles, and motion systems.
- Design, model, and analyze electrical supply systems, and data communication systems.
- Develop and capture facility interface requirements in documents, drawings, and 3D models.
- Research new products, technologies, and methodologies and conduct trade-off studies.
- Collaborate with attraction development team to define and deliver creative intent.
- Develop and capture electrical and control equipment requirements and specifications in documents, drawings, and models.
- Design operator interfaces and electrical control panels.
- Develop implementation plans and budgets for ride control systems.
- Participate in hazard assessments and failure modes and effects analysis.
- Develop test requirements and documents and lead ride installation/commissioning efforts.
- Define and oversee supplier and consultant design and delivery efforts.
- Ensure all delivery and performance requirements have been satisfied.
- Oversee and lead factory test and ride system installation/commissioning efforts.
- At least 5 to 10 years of experience with design, engineering, installation, and commissioning of control systems for electromechanical systems
- Experienced in fail-safe and safety-related controls design, including application of functional safety concepts
- Extensive knowledge of control processors, components, and communication networks used in multi-processing real-time industrial applications
- Highly proficient in industrial control system installation, integration and commissioning
- Solid understanding of communication technologies/protocols: TCP/IP, CAN, serial, ProfiNET, Ethernet/IP, EtherCAT
- Extensive knowledge with electrical design standards and codes, including UL508a and NEC
- Knowledge and familiarity with amusement and automation industry standards, including ASTM F2291
- Expertise in motor and motion control methods and components
- Expertise in designing and implementing closed-loop motion control
- Proficient in developing and reading electrical schematics, one-line diagrams, and technical documents
- Demonstrated experience in scheduling and estimating control systems development and implementation scope
- Demonstrated experienced in contractor/vendor management and technical contract documents
- Ability to travel and work both domestically and internationally, for varying durations that could be over 1 year
- Ability to handle multiple complex efforts simultaneously, coordinate team efforts, and manage tasks and priorities
- Proficient with engineering design tools, including AutoCAD, Matlab, Simulink, Solidworks
- Licensed professional engineer
- Proficient in Rockwell and/or Siemens automation systems architecture and components
- Demonstrated experience in wireless communications for control and monitoring electromechanical system
- Knowledge of pneumatic controls and devices
- Electrical and troubleshooting skills (voltmeter, oscilloscope, etc.)
- Demonstrated knowledge of international amusement industry standards applicable in France, Hong Kong, or China
- As a minimum a Bachelor of Science Degree in an engineering field from an accredited university
- Electrical engineering degree highly preferred
- Some Physics coursework (Motion Equations / Dynamics) highly preferred
- Some Computer Science and/or System Engineering coursework preferred
- Control Systems Engineering and/or Control Theory a plus
About Parks, Experiences and Products:
The Parks, Experiences and Products segment includes Disney’s iconic travel and leisure businesses, which include six resort destinations in the United States, Europe and Asia, a top-rated cruise line, a popular vacation ownership program, and an award-winning guided family adventure business. Disney’s global consumer products operations include the world’s leading licensing business across toys, apparel, home goods, digital games and apps; the world’s largest children’s publisher; Disney store locations around the world; and the shopDisney e-commerce platform.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Parks, Experiences and Products.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.