Already applied?View Dashboard
Engineering Design Studio ExecutiveApply Now Apply Later Job ID 621680BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Walt Disney Imagineering Date posted Dec. 18, 2018
Job Summary:"We create happiness.” That’s our motto at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. And it permeates everything we do. At Disney, you’ll help inspire that magic by enabling our teams to push the limits of entertainment and create the never-before-seen!
Walt Disney Imagineering is the master planning, creative development, design, engineering, production, project management, and research and development arm of The Walt Disney Company. Its talented corps of Imagineers is responsible for the creation - from concept initiation through installation - of all Disney Resorts, theme parks and attractions, real estate developments, regional entertainment venues, and new media projects.
This position functionally leads and takes responsibility for leadership technical content of the Engineering disciplines as the functional executive for the Engineering Design Studio which includes the following disciplines; civil, structural, mechanical, electrical, rockwork, and resort wide systems. Responsible for strategic leadership of talent, technical, and business needs. This role reports to the Environment Design and Engineering Studio Executive.
Responsibilities:CORE FUNCTION & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Take managing responsibility for the technical content of the Engineering Studio disciplines.
- Take lead responsibility for the Engineering Design Studio’s resource planning and annual operating budget.
- May also act as responsible design project manager for all ED&E (Environmental Design and Engineering) disciplines, providing management and technical leadership of the division’s project team throughout the project life cycle.
- Take lead responsibility for the development and implementation of the Engineering Studio's global project design strategy and work plan, to achieve required quality threshold in balance with budget and schedule objectives.
- Act as Engineering Design Studio leader of the design integration process for the designed facility/show environment, including establishment and management of design input, coordination, review and quality control processes.
- Act as the Engineering Design Studio's responsible individual to oversee the efforts of all outside consultants who contribute to the ED&E design product.
- Ensure conformance to the division’s Standards of Practice of Design.
- Act as the division’s lead and point of coordination between the project core team and the functional management of all performing disciplines relative to design strategy, work plan and resource issues.
- Oversee estimate and work plan development at the inception of each project, as well as rigorous earned value and change management processes from inception throughout the project’s life cycle.
- Ensure that human and physical resources match the workload. Schedule manpower.
- Deploy teams for WDI projects world-wide, including direct staff and consultants to whom design is outsourced.
- Monitor progress and earned value on all projects, and ensure that technical quality, interdisciplinary coordination and production requirements (budget, schedule) are met.
- Ensure that peer reviews are performed where appropriate.
- Provide strategic technical oversight of major project construction, and guide facility commissioning.
- Maintain and ensure conformance to department standards, procedures, and specifications.
- Champion the adoption of new technologies and methods (3D, IPD, BIM). Champion sustainable design.
- Act as the primary center of excellence for facility engineering in the Company, with broad influence and technical decision making authority on such matters.
- Exercise engineering judgment in establishing the basis of design for projects worldwide, and possess a superb track record. .
- Oversee all of the departments' resources and provide administrative direction to in-house engineers and designers and outside consultants in the production of construction contract documents.
- Mentor/develop department talent. Hire and terminate employment.
- May manage a large team of engineers and designers on large, complex or multiple projects through all phases of design.
- Minimum of ten years progressive leadership experience in managing multi-disciplinary teams in the production of contract documents for construction or production.
- A minimum of five years of experience in the field of planning, design and/or construction of a major build project (resort or theme park), preferably at an international location.
- Broad knowledge of the facility, show and area development design disciplines that comprise the ED&E division, including unique requirements of design integration and preparation of construction and production contract documents.
- Broad knowledge of CADD design technology and its unique management requirements.
- Active affiliation with professional engineering societies
- Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited engineering school
- Advanced degree in management, business, architecture or engineering
About Walt Disney Imagineering:
Founded in 1952 as WED Enterprises to design and build the world’s first theme park — Disneyland — Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is where imagination and creativity combine with cutting-edge technology to create unforgettable experiences. WDI is the creative force that imagines, designs and builds all Disney theme parks, resorts, attractions and cruise ships worldwide. Imagineering’s unique strength comes from its diverse global team of creative and technical professionals, who build on Disney’s legacy of storytelling to pioneer new forms of entertainment. The Imagineers who practice this unique blend of art and science work in more than 100 disciplines to shepherd an idea all the way from “blue sky” concept phase to opening day.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Imagineering.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.