Executive WDI MusicApply NowApply Later Job ID 774578BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Walt Disney Imagineering Date posted Apr. 20, 2021
This is a high-level hybrid creative position with master level ideation skills across creative direction and producing. The VP creates, develops, articulates the vision and directs the experience that defines the music throughout the project life cycle, from Blue Sky through Opening.
We ask that you have executive level communication to create, develop, articulate and direct the music that defines/solidifies the creative vision. This executive leads collaborative consensus-building, decision-making, and conflict resolution. The complexity and global span of projects requires broad artistic and technical knowledge to align and influence a large interdisciplinary team.
You will report to Global Creative Studio Executive.
- Oversee all music production worldwide which includes talent selection, identifying creative priorities and setting production strategies
- Lead WDI’s Music Studio through all aspects of creative and production by orchestrating, integrating and prioritizing multiple inputs from assorted disciplines
- Build and enhance vital, key internal/external relationships and is seen as an influential leader in the industry
- Lead and represent creative direction to internal and external music partners (artists, artist managers, composers, songwriters, agents, managers, and editors) throughout duration of projects
- Establish creative templates, supervises demo creation/revisions, demo production/recordings for creative teams and executive reviews, give notes or adequately screen incoming work to provide recommended changes before tent pole reviews
- Create, monitor and update resource plans, estimates and schedules for Creative Deliverables in collaboration with WDI production teams and all local Parks' music producers, crews, and functional leadership
- Articulate the "big picture" at the park and multiple attraction level and communicates clear and concise project updates to all levels within the organization
- Communicate with Business and Legal Affairs to manage contractual arrangements. Ensure payments are on schedule and align with original contractual description of services rendered by artists, consultants and subcontractors.
- Champion global strategic initiatives such as diversity and inclusion, safety, global standards, industry trends, best practices, and music standards
- Consistently bring in content that meets the business objectives and strategies
- At least 7+ years related experience in music creative and producing roles
- Proven leader in setting direction for, and achieving objectives in music executive capacity
- Must possess expert understanding of composition, orchestration and music recording and editing
- Strong appreciation for and knowledge of global music and ethnomusicology
- Extensive involvement in music research & development, including current knowledge/awareness of classic and contemporary music: music producers, songwriters, artists, arrangers, film and theater composers
- Requisite technical knowledge to prepare necessary materials/equipment/support for writing meetings, rehearsals and/or recording sessions (pro-tools sessions, midi, a/v integration, correct lead/take sheets, writing breakdowns, cue sheets)
- Knowledge of current and next generation of tech and music specific gear, instrument rentals and maintenance for external and internal equipment
- Strong communication skills and the ability to interface with varied levels of management, talent, and staff
- Ability to influence, negotiate and effectively reach resolution
- Willingness to travel both domestic and international as required
- Strong experience in film or theater production experience
- Knowledge of theme park entertainment experience, or familiarity with all aspects of Disney Entertainment
- Familiarity with stage management
- Ability to read and write music, familiarity with arranging music, and at times, the ability to play instruments, accompany rehearsals and coach vocalists when necessary
- BA/BS in music, theater, film or entertainment
About Walt Disney Imagineering:
Founded in 1952 as WED Enterprises to design and build the world’s first theme park — Disneyland — Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is where imagination and creativity combine with cutting-edge technology to create unforgettable experiences. WDI is the creative force that imagines, designs and builds all Disney theme parks, resorts, attractions and cruise ships worldwide. Imagineering’s unique strength comes from its diverse global team of creative and technical professionals, who build on Disney’s legacy of storytelling to pioneer new forms of entertainment. The Imagineers who practice this unique blend of art and science work in more than 100 disciplines to shepherd an idea all the way from “blue sky” concept phase to opening day.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Imagineering.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.