Financial Accounting Analyst (Project Hire)Apply NowApply Later Job ID 10030844 Location Glendale, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Company (Corporate) Date posted Nov. 22, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
Part of the Walt Disney Company's Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) segment, Disney Music Group (DMG) is the music hub for TWDC, encompassing all aspects of music commercialization and marketing: recorded music (Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records), Disney Music Publishing, and Disney Concerts. DMG distributes music both physically and digitally, and also licenses music throughout the world in various forms of media including television, print, gaming, and consumer products.
The DMG Accounting team is part of Enterprise Financial Services and is dedicated to providing high quality information and services to our business partners. The DMG Accounting team records, reports, and analyzes DMG’s wide variety of revenues, expenses, and KPIs. We support the decision-making process while earning confidence and respect by efficiently reporting and maintaining accurate and timely financial data. We promote innovation and growth by developing our employees and maximizing technology while maintaining a fun environment.
Stories are better when the storytellers represent the vast experiences of the people who will hear them. At Disney, we have the opportunity and the responsibility to create authentic, unforgettable stories, experiences, and products that capture the imagination of generations of people around the world. We are committed to doing that in a way that includes everybody.
We are searching for innovative team members who are flexible and agile to meet the needs of our changing business. Ideal candidates will be curious and teachable. They will be passionate about getting it right in all aspects of their role and will collaborate with and support business partners, customers, and leaders. Candidates will be observant and will proactively seek opportunities for efficiency, innovation, and continual process improvements. They will be willing to share those creative ideas with others.
Our Benefits: Disney offers a rewards package to help you live your best life. This includes health and savings benefits, educational opportunities, and special extras that only Disney can provide. Learn more about our benefits and perks at https://jobs.disneycareers.com/benefits
Other Benefits: The Enterprise Financial Services organization offers Mentorship Program and other Plug And Play/Job Rotation opportunities. These programs are there to help employees to explore career possibilities within the Company by allowing employees to expand their network and professional skills from learning about other job functions and businesses across the Company.
Reporting to the Manager of Music Publishing Accounting, you will be responsible for processing incoming cash receipts and royalty revenue statements. Responsibility for assisting cash receipts application involves reviewing daily bank wire and lockbox activity to prepare journal entries to record to correct GL accounts in the Accounting Ledger (SAP), as well as creating entries and making updates or corrections in the Music Royalty System to account for all royalty payments accurately. Responsibility for statement processing involves uploading royalty data files, validating data accuracy, and mapping/researching song titles by utilizing Excel functions to determine proper matching to songs in the Music Royalty System.
This position requires a professional who is highly motivated and a self-starter. You will develop professional relationships with various business partners and will work with both internal and external partners to report problems and troubleshoot to address issues autonomously on the assignments. You will also have the opportunity to perform transactional research & analysis, prepare reports for management review, and other ad-hoc royalty statement analysis on information for the Music Publishing Financial. Additionally, the role will assist with accounting quarter-end close responsibilities, including but not limited to preparing journal entries, account reconciliations and ad-hoc requests for analysis schedules. We are looking for someone who is proactive on finding ways to automate processes to increase efficiencies on the current processes and improving accounting documentations.
In addition, an ideal candidate must be well-organized, detail-oriented, and be able to perform a variety of tasks under time pressure and strict deadlines. This is an exciting opportunity for a top finance/accounting professional to utilize expertise in a challenging, rewarding and creative environment while gaining valuable experience in the music industry.
- Record journal entries in SAP for incoming cash receipts and pull payment detail support
- Create and update records in Music Royalty system for cash and royalty revenue statement records for new payment receipts, corrections, and cancellations
- Utilize Excel to perform VLOOKUPs, reformat, and prepare revenue statements for data upload
- Review, process, and track music revenue statements from a variety of income sources
- Communicate and conduct researches with both third-party licensees and internal business partners to ensure statements are processed accurately with information obtained
- Monitor unprocessed revenue balances and prepare reports and analysis for Manager’s review as requested
- Assist with ad hoc projects/analysis requests related to royalty statement and cash processing
- Assist with preparations of balance sheet account reconciliations, journal entries and supporting documentation related to quarter-close tasks as needed
- Establish an environment of continuous improvement to identify, develop, and implement process changes to increase accuracy of financial records and efficiency of processes
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration
- Two to five year’s relevant experience in Accounting or Finance
- Effective communication skills (written & verbal)
- Knowledge of accounting principles and internal controls
- Ability to succeed in a team environment
- Customer-service oriented
- Ability to use existing procedures to solve problems
- Ability to analyze information and standard practices to make judgments
- Ability to manage competing priorities
- Knowledge of music business and royalty’s accounting
- CPA or CPA candidate a plus
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Financial Services, LLC, which is part of a business we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).
Disney Financial Services, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.