Technical ArtistApply Now Apply Later Job ID 628390BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Studios Date posted Apr. 19, 2019
Job Summary:Imagine a career with an organization that brings smiles to millions every day. Imagine working with people whose passion for what they do is simply indescribable. We are The Walt Disney Company, live with a rich legacy of innovation, entertainment, and lifelong memories. With our vast array of both businesses and professionals, you’ll have the opportunity to join a team that’s beloved around the world, and to find out how it feels to love what you do. We invite you to discover for yourself why a career with Disney is the opportunity you‘ve been looking for.
The Walt Disney Studios Technology Innovation Group (TIG) is looking for an outstanding candidate to serve as a Technical Artist. He/she will help TIG to realize its strategic mission of advancing and improving the way we tell stories and make movies today and developing new ways to tell and experience our stories tomorrow.
We are looking for a talented, multi-faceted individual who will help design and develop our advanced systems and experiences incorporating technology such as real-time graphics, virtual and augmented reality, and creative collaboration tools. The Technical Artist is tasked with assisting the software development team through hands-on creation of CG assets for use in real-time applications and experiences. As part of this, you will work seamlessly with key internal stakeholders and external innovation partners.
To be successful in this role, you must be innovative, a quick learner, curious, and have a strong understanding of the key technologies that will drive and advance the ideation, production, management and delivery of Disney content and experiences. You need to have solid communication abilities and work well in complex cross-functional teams. An ability to be flexible and work in a dynamic and fast-paced environment to meet the needs of our business are critical to success.
- Work with creative, technology, and product development teams to ideate and define experience and technology needs and opportunities.
- Generate CG content, such as models, shaders, rigs, and effects elements.
- Ability to do basic scripting for automation or visual programming for proceduralism.
- Manage relationships with outside vendors.
- Facilitate meetings as required.
- Expert in 3D Digital Content Creation Tools such as Maya and Houdini with strong general skills in 3D modeling, rigging, animation, effects, lighting, and rendering.
- Experience using/working with 3D game engines such as Unity 3D and Unreal, creating high-quality elements within the constraints of real-time performance.
- Proficient in design tools such as Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Familiar with video editing tools such as Adobe Premier, Final Cut, and After Effects.
- Comfortable with more technical/programmatic techniques for content creation, such as Python scripting or visual programming frameworks.
- Comfortable handling many concurrent projects.
- Passion for advanced technology and its impact on media and culture
- Strong background in immersive technologies such as Virtual and Augmented Reality
- Background in creative concept development, experience prototyping and art direction
- 3+ years of experience in the media and entertainment or theme park industries desired
- Experience within an Agile delivery team to iteratively plan and develop products
- Self-motivated, problem solver able to oversee multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent communication skills – written and oral
- Experience leading/managing 3rd party vendors
- Familiarity with Disney brands and content
- Strong desire to learn
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Fine Arts, Graphic Design, Computer Science or equivalent professional experience
Equal Opportunity Employer Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For over 90 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today the Studio brings quality movies, music and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. Feature films are released under the following banners: Disney, including Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios, Disneynature, Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm. The Disney Music Group encompasses the Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records labels, as well as Disney Music Publishing. The Disney Theatrical Group produces and licenses live events, including Disney on Broadway, Disney On Ice and Disney Live!. Ours is a culture of innovation, inspiration and collaboration that brings together visionary artists, gifted technologists and savvy business minds to conjure up magical entertainment experiences for a global audience.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.