Lead Software Engineer - Technical Operations (Multiple Openings)Apply NowApply Later Job ID 10029023 Location Glendale, California, United States / Atlanta, Georgia, United States / Town of Bristol, Connecticut, United States / Seattle, Washington, United States / Los Angeles, California, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Nov. 15, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid Preferred, Remote Possible
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely. A remote opportunity may be possible for qualified candidates under certain circumstances and, if granted, the employee would work remotely on an ongoing basis.
Ever wonder how the innovative storytelling from the world’s most beloved brands – Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, ESPN, 20th Century, National Geographic, FX, Freeform, Disney Channels, ABC, and more -- makes it to viewers around the globe and beyond (yes, we also deliver content to the International Space Station)? Come join our growing team that builds global products, platforms and tools that deliver and monetize our company's unmatched collection of content, power our businesses and reflect the company's innovative spirit.
We are the Content Platforms team with a mission to “reimagine the technical ecosystem that empowers The Walt Disney Company to harness its unparalleled storytelling and distribute it around the world.” Content Platforms is part of the Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution (DMED) segment which is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in conjunction with ESPN; Disney+, the Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service; global advertising sales and ad technology for all of Disney’s media properties, including ABC, ESPN, Freeform, FX Networks, National Geographic and the Disney Channels; Hotstar, the leading over-the-top streaming service in India; and the Company’s majority ownership stake in Hulu.
- Enjoy working with teams of talented and passionate people
- Have excellent communication skills
- Demonstrate determination in finding solutions to complex puzzles
- Have the curiosity and interests in how content goes from inception to consumers
- Employ positive thinking and are able to work constructively in a diverse team setting
- Enjoy transforming business strategy into innovative products & platforms
- Value learning and being exposed to new experiences
- Love working in a startup culture
- Find Media & Entertainment industry fascinating
then Content Platforms team is the place for you. We are growing and investing in innovative technology to deliver a state-of-the-art content pipeline. Come be a part of the magic that makes The Walt Disney Company one of the “World’s Most Admired Companies”.
The Content Platforms’ Operations Support Team is looking for a Lead Software Engineer to lead the day-to-day activities associated with the software operations support efforts. This individual will have the opportunity to be a part of the team that will be providing operation support of a large inventory of software tools used in the media management and distribution digital supply chain. The person in this role will be a critical member of the engineering team providing support for a variety of systems and technologies that enable the management and distribution of Disney’s extensive media library.
This role will include hands-on issue evaluation, troubleshooting, and correction of issues or requests made of the Operation Support Team. This includes contributions to problem identification, root cause analysis, and management of corrective actions to improve our tools and operations. There will be several areas of focus such as improvement of software engineering processes, system monitoring, documentation, issue resolution, and issue prevention.
This role will include coordination and collaboration with other operations support team members as well as various product and engineering teams to quickly identify and resolve issues. The person in this role will be a mentor to junior team members and work to impart knowledge to help them be effective team members in a complex set of systems
- Strategic planning and tactical approaches to resolving engineering issues with a wide variety of technologies
- Lead cross-functional troubleshooting of issues with varying levels of complexity as needed
- Extend engineering support coverage of DMED Systems to maintain readiness and performance levels
- Develop a deep understanding of core DMED systems and how they interact with each other
- Coordinate with engineering and operational support leads to ensure optimal system performance
- Contribute to issue resolution activities, set standards, and work with engineers to ensure product and design specifications are met
- Establish or extend fundamental monitoring for platform performance, scalability, and resiliency
- Influence and contribute to department technical strategy and planning
- Provide technical guidance and evangelize best practices
- Provide mentoring to engineers on advanced technical issues
- Any other duties needed to help achieve Business Objectives
- Bachelor’s degree BS Computer Science or related technical discipline; or equivalent experience
- 7+ year of technical experience; ideally in a media related field
- Passionate about operational support and improving software systems and processes
- Self-starter and can work independently with limited supervision
- Ability to manage complex assignments that cross multiple types of technologies and/or functional groups
- Demonstrate strong technical writing skills and an ability to clearly communicate goals, status, and issues
- Demonstrate an ability to derive actionable solutions, insights, or alternative approaches
- Clear understanding of development process, methodologies, and tools
- Proven ability to operate effectively in a team-oriented and collaborative environment
- Experience with providing engineering operational support to systems using a wide variety of technology tools
- Experience with supporting multi-tiered applications
- Expertise with full lifecycle of application development
- Experience with build and deployment technologies such as Jenkins and Docker
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to learn and adapt to new and older technologies
- Knowledgeable in cloud-based technologies such as AWS EC2, SQS, S3, Lambdas, DynamoDB, etc.
- Experience with APIs and messaging services (Kafka, ElasticSearch)
- Exposure or experience with Agile development tools, such as Jira, Gitlab, Confluence
- Prior work experience in media management or digital media distribution operations
- BS Computer Science or related technical discipline; or equivalent experience
The hiring range for this remote position is $157,800 to $219,200 per year, which factors in various geographic regions. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate’s geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.