Lead Software Engineer
Glendale, California, United States; Burbank, California, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 854523BR Location Glendale, California, United States; Burbank, California, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Sep. 14, 2021
Job Summary:At Disney, we‘re storytellers. We make the impossible, possible. We do this through utilizing and developing cutting-edge technology and pushing the envelope to bring stories to life through our movies, products, interactive games, parks and resorts, and media networks. Now is your chance to join our talented team that delivers unparalleled creative content to audiences around the world.
The Walt Disney Company has a rich tradition of creating innovative products and magical experiences for millions of people around the world. Software Engineers are at the heart of that innovation and magic, building platforms, services, tools and infrastructure for an unmatched collection of content and brands such as D+, Hulu, E+, ESPN, Marvel, Star Wars, ABC, Disney, FX, National Geographic and more.
As a member of the Content Engineering team, you will build and support The Walt Disney Company’s core content management and distribution capabilities. As a platform engineer you will be part of a team responsible for advancing our platform onto modern frameworks and technologies. You will interact with numerous teams to define scalable content that provide a strong foundation for many products. Examples include content creation, meta-data management, video workflows, and taxonomies for supporting products such as Disney+, Star+, Hulu, ESPN+, ESPN, National Geographic, ABC News, ABC Entertainment, FX and FF
- Demonstrate determination in finding solutions to complex puzzles
- Have the curiosity to research and learn new technologies
- Employ positive thinking and can work constructively in a diverse team setting
- Value learning and being exposed to new experiences
- Love working in a startup culture
then working at Disney is unlike anything else. We have the latest technology, game-changing ideas, and world-class talent. Come be a part of our team and help us find new ways to interact with users, however and wherever they connect with our brands.
- Provide technical guidance and evangelize best practices.
- Maintain a deep understanding of our core systems and how they interact with upstream and downstream dependencies.
- Contribute and review code, set standards, and work with engineers to ensure product and design specifications are met
- Responsible for fundamental platform performance, scalability, and resiliency
- Partner with stakeholders to refine requirements, and propose solutions to problems that span multiple teams
- Influence and contribute to department technical strategy and planning
- Provide mentoring to engineers on advanced technical issues
- Research, learn, and evangelize widespread adoption of new technologies and architecture patterns
- Lead cross-functional troubleshooting of complex issues as needed
- Strategic planning and vision focused on experimenting with and deploying new technologies
- Proven expertise with architecture and delivery of high volume, cached, fault tolerant, multi-threaded scalable systems
- Deep understanding of async programming models (events, callbacks, etc)
- Expertise designing APIs and building RESTful services
- Mastery in Java and experience with multiple opensource technologies like; Spring, Tomcat, Nginx, Elastic Search, MongoDB, GraphQL, etc
- Highly knowledgeable in cloud-based technologies such as AWS EC2, SQS, S3, Lambdas, DynamoDB, Elasticsearch, Cloudformation/Terraform, etc.
- Expertise with full lifecycle of application development, including best practices of unit testing, code reviews, documentation, etc.
- Experience with build and deployment technologies such as Jenkins and Docker
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to learn and adapt to new technologies. Can effectively articulate complex ideas and influence others through well-reasoned explanations
- Enjoy working on a team setting with engineers of varying experience
- Strong communication skills and attention to detail
- 6+ years relevant industry experience
- BS Computer Science or related technical discipline or its equivalent
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.