Lead XR Software Engineer
Glendale, California, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 946490BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Studios Date posted Mar. 22, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
Job Summary:We have created one of the most powerful brands by bringing memorable, life-changing storytelling to the world. The foundation of this creativity starts with Disney Studios Content. As a part of Studio Technology, you will be joining a group of passionate, dedicated technologists solving a range of complex problems in innovative ways for the filmmakers responsible for entertaining millions around the world.
The Immersive Production Technology (IPT) Group, part of Studio Technology, is looking for an experienced technology and innovation practitioner to serve as the Staff Software Engineer. This role will help IPT to realize its strategic mission of advancing and improving the way we make movies today and developing new ways to tell and experience our stories tomorrow.
You will partner with our Studio research and innovation teams to transform early-stage technology such as Augmented and Virtual Reality and Interactive Gaming Technology into impactful software/hardware products that will be leveraged at the Studio. In addition, you will discover and pilot external technologies that are ready to plug into our Studio workflows. Everything you do is driven by the singular goal of supporting our filmmakers by helping to improve the quality and efficiency of our products and processes.
To be successful in this role, you must be curious, innovative, a quick learner, and have a strong understanding of the key technologies that will drive and advance the ideation, production, distribution and presentation of Disney content and experiences. As part of this, you will work seamlessly with key internal stakeholders and external innovation partners. You need to have solid communication abilities and work well in complex cross-functional teams. An ability to be flexible and work in a dynamic and extremely fast-paced environment to meet the needs of our business are critical to success. Experience developing many concurrent projects a plus.
Responsibilities:Key Responsibilities (include, but are not limited to)
- Drive the design and development of IPT’s advanced AR/VR/[XR] platforms, systems, and applications
- Design, develop, and maintain innovative software solutions based on the latest immersive production technologies
- Oversee the technical development and delivery of advanced production technology projects
- Lead the technical strategy for a portfolio of projects, from early R&D prototypes to production-ready code
- Drive the adoption of new technology that is along the IPT technology roadmap in particular AR/VR technology and advanced interactive graphics
- Aid in the creation of proof-of-concepts that incorporate many technology layers
- Hands-on development of working, readable, testable and maintainable source code
- Serves as a high-level technical resource and “go-to” person for less experienced developers, providing technical guidance and oversight
- Manage relationships with outside vendors and partners as required
- Facilitate meetings and guide the technical conversations as required
Basic Qualifications:Basic Job Qualifications
- Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or related field or equivalent professional experience
- 7+ years of technology-focused industry experience
- Proficient in both high-level scripting languages (e.g. Python) and lower-level compiled languages (e.g. C/C++)
- Strong 3D math skills with a deep knowledge of computer graphics (lighting, shading, rigging, FX, etc.)
- Strong overall understanding of general-purpose computer systems including cloud, network, server, desktop, tablet and mobile form factors
- Familiar with agile development philosophy and practices
Preferred Qualifications:Preferred Job Qualifications
- Experience in Media & Entertainment production technology, or experience with VFX and/or Animation pipelines
- Advanced knowledge of game engine technology (e.g. Unity, Unreal, RealityKit).
- Proficient with computer graphics content creation tools (Maya, Houdini, Nuke, etc.)
- Experience leading small to mid-sized software development teams
- Experience leading/managing 3rd party vendors
- Experience with AR/VR and related technology; ARKit/ARCore experience a plus
- Master’s Degree or Ph.D. in Engineering, Computer Science, or related field a plus
This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For over 95 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today it brings quality movies, episodic storytelling, music, and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. The Walt Disney Studios encompasses a collection of respected film studios, including Disney, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Studios, Lucasfilm, 20th Century Studios, and Searchlight Pictures. It is also home to Disney Theatrical Productions, producer of world-class stage shows.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business we call The Walt Disney Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.