Already applied?View Dashboard
Manager, Public AffairsApply Now Apply Later Job ID 652716BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Parks, Experiences and Products Date posted Mar. 27, 2019
Job Summary:As a member of the Disney Consumer Products Commercialization (CPC) Public Affairs team, you will work cross-functionally to help devise communications materials and campaigns tied to The Walt Disney Company’s extensive retail, consumer products, games, and publishing offerings, specifically through the lens of issues management. The Public Affairs team works closely with stakeholders across the Disney Parks, Experiences, and Consumer Products (DPECP) business as well as other communications teams to help protect and enhance the reputation of the segment and the company. The ideal candidate will have experience managing issues, spanning both proactive and reactive efforts, as well as a passion for storytelling and strategic, data-driven communications.
The ideal candidate will have experience in public affairs, media relations, or public relations, strong writing skills, and experience with issues management. The candidate should also have the ability to synthesize large amounts of information into compelling, actionable insights, and an understanding of the media landscape.
This role will report to the Director, Public Affairs and Communications.
- Partner with Public Affairs leadership to execute issue and IP-based public affairs campaigns and influencer engagement strategies
- Support crisis communications response efforts through monitoring relevant breaking news and providing actionable insights and information
- Manage the consumer products social influencer program and annual summit
- Draft reactive messaging, written materials, media pitches, briefing documents, and presentations tied to crises, product vulnerabilities, and areas of opportunity
- Conduct thorough and reliable research in a timely fashion, assist with social media analyses and risk assessments, and create issue coverage reports as needed
- Collaborate across the business to influence programs and product development, with an eye towards issues management
- Stay on the pulse of various issues and trends that could affect our business and work quickly to update teams
- Help maintain Public Affairs editorial calendars, messaging archives, and media resources
- Help provide select executive communications support to keep leadership informed of breaking and relevant industry news
- Collaborate with Public Relations, Corporate Citizenship, Internal Communications, Executive Communications, and Franchise teams to help ensure proactive and reactive integrated communications efforts for CPC
- 5-7 years of experience in communications, public affairs, and/or media relations
- Experience working with influencers/press
- Ability to think strategically, partner across a large organization, and take into account the needs of multiple stakeholders
- Ability to develop and execute strategic communications plans that ladder up to segment-wide plans
- Ability to synthesize large amounts of information into compelling, actionable insights
- A solid understanding of relevant social media platforms, influential voices, and popular media outlets
- Familiarity with recent cultural and social issues, specifically relating to entertainment and media
- Sound judgment and ability to prioritize
- Excellent project management skills
- Exceptional writing and editing skills
- An approach that features a high degree of professionalism and commitment
- Willingness to embrace a fast moving, action-oriented environment with a can do attitude
- Experience with problem solving and coming up with creative solutions
- Intellectual curiosity
- Excellent PC and Mac literacy; Internet and social media savvy with experience using SharePoint or other Content Management System, Microsoft Office suite, Keynote, etc.
- Experience with social media analysis, including using tools such as Crimson Hexagon or Spredfast
- Familiarity with the consumer products and/or interactive industries
- Familiarity with The Walt Disney Company’s iconic brands
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field
About Parks, Experiences and Products:
The Parks, Experiences and Products segment includes Disney’s iconic travel and leisure businesses, which include six resort destinations in the United States, Europe and Asia, a top-rated cruise line, a popular vacation ownership program, and an award-winning guided family adventure business. Disney’s global consumer products operations include the world’s leading licensing business across toys, apparel, home goods, digital games and apps; the world’s largest children’s publisher; Disney store locations around the world; and the shopDisney e-commerce platform.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Consumer Products and Interactive Media, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Parks, Experiences and Products.
Disney Consumer Products and Interactive Media, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.