Manager, Social MediaApply NowApply Later Job ID 7074108620220213 Location Glendale, California, United States Business Disney Streaming Date posted Jul. 25, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
The Manager, Social Media is primarily responsible for developing and directing the overall planning, management, coordination, and execution of social strategy and content, for @Star Wars and @Lucasfilm social platforms while closely collaborating with the editorial teams across official Star Wars & Lucasfilm digital and web platforms. The Manager, Social Media oversees a team of Content Marketing & Social Engagement leaders while being responsible for overseeing the day-to-day planning and operations for brand management, content strategy, and audience development. This role models brand stewardship, ensuring the digital expression of the Star Wars brand aligns to all franchise guardrails and acts as an expert in the Lucasfilm audience space. This involves reviewing and providing recommendations for all social media posts and calendars (domestic and international) and providing recommendations to social team and internal partners on driving social media success within the framework of Lucasfilm brand guidelines.
The ideal candidate is adaptable, creative, detail-oriented strategic people manager with a strong understanding of platforms and trends in the digital landscape and member of the of Star Wars community.
This role will have 2 direct reports
The Manager, Social Media should be a leader who is collaborative, diplomatic, and nuanced in managing a complex pipeline of projects and stakeholders, with an emphasis on ability to manage a matrixed multiplatform editorial calendar in collaboration with editorial teams while also guiding the Social Media team to success. They should have strong ability to inspire confidence and trust between peers, direct reports and stakeholders modeling self-awareness, organizational savvy and perception with precision.
This role requires the seamless ability to lead meetings and maintain a high level of organization, project management and professional development of direct reports, with excellent verbal and written communication to represent the marketing team in cross-functional meetings.
They should be extremely collaborative and capable of synthesizing feedback and input from many teams into one cohesive strategy or output with a focus on thoughtful problem-solving.
Social Calendar Planning
- Lead the @StarWars social media team—working in close partnership with key Lucasfilm Online teams in Editorial, Digital Content, and Program Management—to develop Evergreen Brand social strategy that aligns to content strategy, audience development goals, and authentically reaches diversified portfolio of fans while staying true to the Lucasfilm/ Star Wars brand, values, and commitment to quality
- Frame & Manage key social strategy recommendations for Star Wars and Lucasfilm platforms across all segments to optimize social content, as well as overseeing the Star Wars social media team to drive holistic, audience-first content strategies to balance the evergreen franchise management with the many marketing requests
- Manages reviewing and approving all social media posts and calendars (domestic and international) and giving guidance and recommendations to social teams and internal partners on social media strategy within the context of Lucasfilm digital/social brand and franchise guidelines
- Co-Manage the creation, implementation, and management of the overall editorial strategy, calendar and cadence for Lucasfilm social & editorial network properties and platforms in collaboration with Manager, Editorial
- Manage planning and integration of social media requests across all lines of business with Sr, Manager, Program Management; including partnerships with Disney+, Studio Marketing, DPEP, and other segments, as well as Ad Sales partnerships and licensee support on @StarWars, @StarWarsLife, and @StarWarsKids
- Manage and act as day-to-day contact for Lucasfilm and Star Wars social working across peers to provide best practices and guide internal discussions on how the Star Wars franchise can continue to evolve on social platforms - collaboration with Manager, Editorial and Director
- Manage collaboration with DMED Social Analytics and vendors on social content performance. Serve as a subject matter expert on all social platforms, best practices. Actively interprets social analytics and reporting to drive actionable optimization for audience, content, and platform strategies
- Manage the social brand, content strategy, and audience engagement; models brand stewardship to stakeholders and direct reports, ensuring the social expression of the Star Wars brand aligns to all franchise guardrails
- Manage team expertise in the Lucasfilm social audience space, leveraging social listening tools, reporting, and platform best practices to inform content optimization recommendations
- Manage internal and cross LOB stakeholder meetings for SW and LFL Social priorities
- Manage intake of stakeholder feedback on SW and LFL social into cohesive next steps; managing up to director with recommendations and down to direct reports for action steps
- Manage international asset request and approval workflow in collaboration with DMED Central Marketing Production Management
- Manage team development and planning for ongoing resource needs, including new head count, promotions, or stretch assignments, providing quarterly updates on impact to Director, Social & Digital Marketing
- Manage documentation of incremental workload & resources needed to pre-empt any bandwidth concerns, providing real-time updates on impact to Director, Social & Digital Marketing
- Manage social team meetings, set agendas, and provide strategic recommendations based on feedback from the social media team to drive growth and address complex situations.
- Facilitate opportunities for team to develop stakeholder management, strategy, and planning skills
- 5+ years of experience in social media management specific to user engagement and streaming or related experience at an entertainment media company;
- Strong leadership skills and 3+ years experience managing multiple direct reports.
- Proven experience leading a team to develop and execute social strategy and community management for a brand or franchise (in-house brand management, not agency)
- Excellent relationship management skills and ability to problem solve and find creative solutions to complex problems, polished in presentation and communication skills with nuanced and diplomatic approach to managing many stakeholders.
- Knowledge of Lucasfilm properties and passion for the franchise characters and stories a must.
- Expert knowledge of social platforms and publishing best practices across all digital platforms.
- Ability to manage a pipeline of multiple projects, campaigns, and deliverables with a clear vision for defining success and keep the team organized and on track for success.
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment, with many moving pieces and frequent changes while keeping a pleasant and optimistic approach to guiding a team through change.
- Polished in presentation and communication
BA or BS required, preferably with a background in Marketing, Communications, Journalism, or Film
The Walt Disney Company’s Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) is a global business segment for The Walt Disney Company with the mission of providing highly-personalized entertainment experiences to diverse consumers around the world access to the content they want most, on the latest platforms, at a time of rapidly-evolving consumer habits deliver.
Disney Streaming encompasses the teams leading the Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+, and Star+ streaming services within Disney’s Media & Entertainment Distribution group. We sit at the intersection between entertainment, sports, and technology and seek to connect viewers with the stories they love, while driving the streaming industry forward with consumer-first innovation.
The role of Lucasfilm social and digital is to be the central hub and resident experts in the Lucasfilm portfolio of brands from the digital perspective. We are the first-line of defense regarding content ideas, brand strategy, and content creation and partnership on behalf of Lucasfilm and DMED. The team is comprised of 3 key groups focusing on Strategy & Planning (Social & Editorial), Content (Digital Content), and Platform Operations (Program Management).
This department is the foundational social & digital infrastructure responsible for programming, analyzing, maintaining, publishing, producing and ultimately growing audiences across all digital platforms for Lucasfilm, Star Wars, and their respective franchises/businesses. We support an evolving multiplatform and multi-vertical franchise business with tentpole events throughout the year.
About Disney Streaming:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney DTC LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Streaming.
Disney DTC LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.