Manager, Software Engineering
Glendale, California, United States; Seattle, Washington, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 854815BR Location Glendale, California, United States; Seattle, Washington, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Sep. 09, 2021
Job Summary:Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution’s mission (DMED) is to delight consumers around the world with the entertainment and sports content they want most, with more choice, personalization, and convenience than ever before.
Comprised of Disney’s International media businesses and the Company’s streaming and linear services, the DMED Engineering segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
DMED is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in conjunction with ESPN; Disney+, the Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service; global advertising sales and ad technology for all of Disney’s media properties, including ABC, ESPN, Freeform, FX Networks, National Geographic and the Disney Channels; HotStar, the leading over-the-top streaming service in India; and the Company’s majority ownership stake in Hulu.
The newly created Operational Intelligence team sits within the DMED Technology's Content Platforms group. Our mission is to deliver real-time data access and analytics to all facets of the media supply chain.
We are looking for an experienced engineering leader to shepherd one of our Data Access and Collection teams
To be successful in this role, you need strong communication and collaborative skills, experience building teams, and an inspiring vision and passion for how data can inform business and product decisions.
The new position of Manager of Software Engineering – Operational Intelligence will report to the Sr. Manager of Engineering and will partner with engineering, product management, data science, and business leadership to design and implement new data analytic products in the Content Platforms space to turn our media supply chain and our content distribution workflows into a data-driven ecosystem.
- Serve as a technical and leadership mentor to the team
- Encourage and set the example for collaboration across functions. Forge solid relationships with peers in other disciplines
- Must be a high-energy leader able to delegate and mentor effectively yet roll up their sleeves when required to achieve results or demonstrate effective behavior
- Partner with business domain experts, data science, and data engineering teams to build evolutionary supply chain visual analysis, monitoring, and reporting products
- Design, implement and build near real-time data analytics and monitoring, develop impactful reporting products to enable and accelerate senior decision makers
- Be a champion for the strategy of Operational Intelligence
- Become and stay an expert in current and emerging technologies and tools
- Ensure excellence in engineering is core to everything we do
- 3+ years of engineering management experience.
- 7+ years of software engineering experience.
- Understanding of relational, NoSQL, and Graph data stores, methods and approaches.
- Experience in building message based distributed, scalable and resilient systems.
- Experience with data warehouse technologies like Redshift, Snowflake or related.
- Experience in a start-up, fast-growth, or rapid-change environment.
- Skilled building a diverse team
- Strong problem-solving skills to identify the root cause and implement the fix.
- Ability to build trust and partnerships across various teams and functions with strong influencing and change management skills.
- Solid communication skills – written, oral, presentation and storytelling.
- Ability to be flexible, adapting to changing priorities and able to juggle multiple projects at once.
- Expertise in multiple programming languages
- Expertise building resilient, high volume, data access and analysis APIs and services.
- Experience building and managing web-based technologies that integrate with RBAC solutions
- Experience with at least one of: AWS, Azure, GCP
Required EducationBS or MS in Computer Science, Engineering or another technical field.
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.