Already applied?View Dashboard
Manager, Walt Disney Imagineering Communications - Tech & InnovationApply Now Apply Later Job ID 551501BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Disney Parks & Resorts Brand Walt Disney Imagineering Date posted May. 14, 2018
Job Summary:The Manager of Communications for WDI primarily focuses on technology and innovation and plays a critical role in shaping and sharing our stories with internal and external stakeholders and influencers. If you are an expert storyteller and writer, and passionate about technology, innovation and the rapid evolution of the themed entertainment industry, this just might be your dream job.
This senior communications role helps develop and execute communication strategies around our technology and innovation efforts, and leverages expertise and existing media relations to help position Disney as a leader in this space. Working closely with Disney Research, WDI R&D and WDI Project Design and Development teams, the individual in this role will help identify compelling content and our best spokespeople to deliver those messages, and help develop technology narratives for a variety of needs and audiences. Collaboration is key as this role will interact with communication teams across business units to integrate strategically key messages and storylines into various platforms and/or pitches.
Critical to success in this role is the unique ability to translate complex technology breakthroughs into easily consumable and engaging stories.
- Work closely with the Disney Research, WDI R&D, and teams innovating at every level of project design and development to create strategic communication plans.
- Lead the development of tech narratives, key messages and overall briefings to best tell our tech and innovation stories.
- Write and produce communication elements such as pitches, press releases, key messages, assets and blog posts
- Integrate stories and messaging into other site/segment/company communication strategies and plans to reinforce efforts and initiatives.
- Proactively identify key stories and areas of differentiation, develop, produce and edit content for pitches or direct release.
- Secure proactive coverage of our ongoing efforts and achievements.
- Work with executive communications to develop a strategic plan for executive speaking engagements.
- Pitch execs for key speaking opportunities and manage pre- and post- coverage.
- Ensure executives are informed of relevant industry media coverage in a timely fashion
- Lead management of all technical speaking engagements
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with press, bloggers and influencers in the technology and innovation space.
- Oversee team responsible for communication related to WDI projects around the world
- Oversee industry engagement and help review presentation materials and award submissions
- Participate in forums where patent filings are discussed and review all materials prior to submission
- Minimum 5 years of experience in technical communications or journalism.
- Content development experience with emphasis on strong writing and editing skills
- Great mix of technical knowledge, technical writing skills and creativity.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and share new and creative ideas
- Ability to translate complex technical information into consumable communications for external audiences.
- Experience in working with media and a track record of successfully placing stories
- Strong relationships with technology press and influencers.
- Experience working with senior level executives.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple deadlines and tasks
- Innate sense of urgency with proven ability to work quickly, meet deadlines, manage competing priorities and communicate updates effectively while under pressure
- Well organized and trustworthy with a high level of confidentiality
- Experience working as a news media representative
- Knowledge of Disney Parks, Experiences and Products business units
- Knowledge of the travel and themed entertainment industry
- Published writing
- Business savvy
- Bi-lingual abilities are a plus
- Event management or speaker advance experience helpful
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited University or equivalent experience
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism or Communications
- MBA in relevant field
About Walt Disney Imagineering:
Founded in 1952 as WED Enterprises to design and build the world’s first theme park — Disneyland — Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is where imagination and creativity combine with cutting-edge technology to create unforgettable experiences. WDI is the creative force that imagines, designs and builds all Disney theme parks, resorts, attractions and cruise ships worldwide. Imagineering’s unique strength comes from its diverse global team of creative and technical professionals, who build on Disney’s legacy of storytelling to pioneer new forms of entertainment. The Imagineers who practice this unique blend of art and science work in more than 100 disciplines to shepherd an idea all the way from “blue sky” concept phase to opening day.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Imagineering.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.