Already applied?View Dashboard
Manager, WDI CommunicationsApply Now Apply Later Job ID 703668BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Walt Disney Imagineering Date posted Sep. 13, 2019
The ability to distill complex and often highly technical concepts into clear messaging and compelling stories, coupled with a deep working knowledge of existing and emerging communication platforms will be important. From digital newsletters to the launch of an external website, having extensive experience developing content that best represents Imagineering’s brand will be equally important.
With Imagineers speaking at hundreds of conferences and events throughout the year, knowing how to streamline communication support and run an efficient team is a priority. Because many events and opportunities include media, having experience working directly with and managing media relations will prove highly beneficial.
The ideal candidate for this leadership role will be passionate about creativity, technology and innovation, a strong writer and excellent storyteller, and on the forefront of the rapidly evolving communication and media landscape. Above all, this individual must be a collaborative leader with a positive and professional approach.
- Lead team members focused on internal and external communications focused on Walt Disney Imagineering.
- Work closely with studios across the organization to develop tech narratives and key messages.
- Be able to translate complex technology breakthroughs into easily consumable and engaging stories.
- Write and produce communication elements such as pitches and blog posts with corresponding visual / video assets.
- Integrate stories and messaging into other site/segment/company communication strategies and plans to reinforce efforts and initiatives.
- Proactively identify opportunities to differentiate Imagineers from other creative organizations; prepare, develop and produce content to support those stories.
- Work with tech-focused media to cover ongoing efforts and achievements.
- Work with Executive Communications to identify strategic speaking engagements and help manage pre- and post- event coverage.
- Ensure executives are well-informed of relevant industry media coverage in a timely fashion to help ensure.
- Lead management of all technical speaking engagements
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with press, bloggers and influencers in the technology and innovation space.
- Oversee team responsible for communication related to WDI projects around the world
- Oversee industry engagement and help review presentation materials and award submissions
- Participate in forums where patent filings are discussed and review all materials prior to submission
- Ideally five years of experience in technical communications or journalism
- Content development experience with emphasis on strong writing and editing skills
- Great mix of technical knowledge, technical writing skills and creativity.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and share new and creative ideas
- Ability to translate complex technical information into consumable communications for external audiences.
- Experience in working with media and a track record of successfully placing stories
- Strong relationships with technology press and influencers.
- Experience working with senior level executives.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple deadlines and tasks
- Innate sense of urgency with proven ability to work quickly, meet deadlines, manage competing priorities and communicate updates effectively while under pressure
- Well organized and trustworthy with a high level of confidentiality
- Experience working as a news media representative
- Knowledge of Disney Parks, Experiences and Products business units
- Knowledge of the travel and themed entertainment industry
- Published writing
- Business savvy
- Bilingual abilities are a plus
- Event management or speaker advance experience helpful
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism or Communications
- MBA in relevant field
About Walt Disney Imagineering:
Founded in 1952 as WED Enterprises to design and build the world’s first theme park — Disneyland — Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is where imagination and creativity combine with cutting-edge technology to create unforgettable experiences. WDI is the creative force that imagines, designs and builds all Disney theme parks, resorts, attractions and cruise ships worldwide. Imagineering’s unique strength comes from its diverse global team of creative and technical professionals, who build on Disney’s legacy of storytelling to pioneer new forms of entertainment. The Imagineers who practice this unique blend of art and science work in more than 100 disciplines to shepherd an idea all the way from “blue sky” concept phase to opening day.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Imagineering.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.