Already applied?View Dashboard
Master Planner (Planning & Design)Apply Now Apply Later Job ID 631418BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Walt Disney Imagineering Date posted May. 10, 2019
Job Summary:"We create happiness.” That’s our motto at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. And it permeates everything we do. At Disney, you’ll help inspire that magic by enabling our teams to push the limits of entertainment and create the never-before-seen!
Walt Disney Imagineering is the master planning, creative development, design, engineering, production, project management, and research and development arm of The Walt Disney Company. Its talented corps of Imagineers is responsible for the creation - from concept initiation through installation - of all Disney Resorts, theme parks and attractions, real estate developments, regional entertainment venues, and new media projects.
WDI Master Planning manages the long-term development framework for sustainable growth of each resort and provides expertise to support new business opportunities.
Under general supervision, can perform all the duties of a Master Planning Associate and, in addition, will perform the following duties:
- Provides specialized subject matter expertise (by initiative) in one or more of five master planning areas of expertise:
- Land Planning, Urban Planning, Transportation & Infrastructure Planning, Environmental Planning & Permitting, Real Estate Development & Entitlements
- Manages select phases of multiple small sized Master Planning projects including procurement, scheduling and budget management that are low to moderate risk
- Integrates work of the studio with internal and external organizations including project team, design studios, operations, municipalities, vendors, and contractors
- Provides input on concept and strategy development as part of the master planning and real estate business plans
- Manages inputs and updates to the global database of planning information
- Provides entitlement and planning support and sustainment activities including permit coordination and amendments to legal documents for representation in negotiations
- Develops scope, preliminary schedule and estimates/budgets, contract initiation and procurement for Master Planning elements of projects.
- Present project status, risks, opportunities, and issues for escalation to Senior Leadership
- Produce and quality check routine and ad hoc reporting
- Understand project workflows and managing schedule for timely integration of planning deliverables
- Provides daily planning direction to Associate and/or internal project team
- Provides HR and administrative assistance to direct leader on recruiting, manpower/staffing and budgetary issues when required
- Supervise and support intern staff as applicable
- Adhere to all personnel policies, Company handbooks, and practices
- Minimum of 2 years relevant experience
- Basic experience in at least one master planning areas of expertise
- Must have the ability to understand and translate master planning concepts into actionable recommendations for leaders and teams
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel, Power Point, and Project and graphic/desktop publishing software to include, Auto Cad, Adobe Suite (specifically Illustrator and Photoshop), and GIS capabilities
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to think strategically and understand complex technical and legal issues relating to development
- Ability to learn key project delivery methods while working on a variety of project types and scales
- Demonstrated ability to graphically communicate and problem solve; via sketching, model building, digital design, etc.
- Well-organized in work preparation for self and others, providing a positive work environment to facilitate the completion and execution of work plans and projects
- Researches and assimilates innovative ideas into more creative projects & efficient ways to accomplish goals; extends innovations at project level, when appropriate, and shares results with the department team
- Able to articulate and present planning concepts with clarity in a diplomatic and persuasive manner
- Able to generate, with clarity, correspondence regarding complex issues; prepares reports regarding status of projects
- Basic real estate/development knowledge
- Knowledge of themed entertainment and Disney preferred
- Risk identification and management skills
- Negotiation skills
- Generally adaptable
- Stress tolerance
- Delegation skills
- 3-5 years master planning experience in Land and Urban Planning
- Themed entertainment experience preferred
- Membership in one or more professional organizations such as AIA, ULI, APA, SARA, NCARD, LEED is desirable
- 4 year degree in Architecture, Engineering, Urban Planning, Urban Design, Real Estate Development, Landscape Architecture or business from an accredited program required
- Advanced professional degree (Masters) in related discipline preferred
- Continued education and advanced studies in computer science, graphic/informational design and/or GIS (Geographic Information Systems), preferred
About Walt Disney Imagineering:
Founded in 1952 as WED Enterprises to design and build the world’s first theme park — Disneyland — Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is where imagination and creativity combine with cutting-edge technology to create unforgettable experiences. WDI is the creative force that imagines, designs and builds all Disney theme parks, resorts, attractions and cruise ships worldwide. Imagineering’s unique strength comes from its diverse global team of creative and technical professionals, who build on Disney’s legacy of storytelling to pioneer new forms of entertainment. The Imagineers who practice this unique blend of art and science work in more than 100 disciplines to shepherd an idea all the way from “blue sky” concept phase to opening day.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Imagineering.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.