Already applied?View Dashboard
PH-Associate Master PlannerApply Now Apply Later Job ID 502090BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Disney Parks & Resorts Brand Walt Disney Imagineering Date posted 03/30/2018
Job Summary:Walt Disney Imagineering is the master planning, creative development, design, engineering, production, project management, and research and development arm of The Walt Disney Company. Its talented corps of Imagineers is responsible for the creation - from concept initiation through installation - of all Disney Resorts, theme parks and attractions, real estate developments, regional entertainment venues, and new media projects.
General Role Description:
The associate planner will be responsible for providing planning support for a number of core functional areas:
Planning provides the land and urban planning services that educate, inform, and guide our domestic business partners and global portfolio leaders. We craft the most creative, efficient, and strategic realization of the Company's land resource assets worldwide, supporting and guiding the Company's continually evolving long term Menu and Master Planning process.
Predevelopment is responsible for providing environmental, infrastructure and development expertise to enable smart growth and preserve future flexibility for each global resort. We lead the site systems planning, government relations, public investment, and land use and infrastructure systems in support of specific development undertakings, and obtain and manage real estate entitlements
Responsibilities:Under direct supervision, the Master Planner Associate will perform the following duties:
- Provide subject matter expertise (by initiative) in one or more of six master planning areas of expertise:
- Land Planning, Urban Planning, Transportation & Infrastructure Planning, Environmental Planning & Permitting, Sustainability, and Real Estate Development & Entitlements
- Assist in developing the scope of a small project or portion of the scope of work for a medium or large project (e.g. due diligence research on a single parcel of land, preparing feasibility analysis for a transportation project, etc.) including procurement, scheduling and budget management that are low to moderate risk
- Coordinate and integrate project information with internal and external organizations including project team, design studios, operations, municipalities, vendors, and contractors
- Prepare and assist with presentations to executive management and external planning stakeholders on project status
- Provide design and analysis documentation in the form of graphic illustrations, imagery, boards, color renderings and research and documentation on assigned projects
- Assists with site analysis, 3D visualization and property-wide master planning initiatives
- Manages and provides supplementary estimating, budgeting and scheduling functions
- Produce routine and ad hoc reporting
- Provide decision-making responsibility & conflict resolution within the assigned scope/project
- Play an active role in the selection and procurement process for consultants and contractors for the assigned scopes/projects
- Partner with intern staff as applicable
- Adhere to all personnel policies, Company handbooks, and practices
- Entry level experience in land use planning, landscape architecture, and real estate planning and development
- Project experience with a variety of planning processes such as:
- Real estate entitlements
- Real estate feasibility analyses
- Land use, urban, and master planning
- Site systems, site planning and landscape design
- Infrastructure planning and development
- Theme park and resort development
- Fiscal impact analyses and public/private financing
- Environmental Impact analyses and mitigation monitoring programs
- Entitlements including regional and global experience
- Ability to work effectively in a large, collaborative, matrix organization with partners from multiple disciplines
- Ability to identify, manage, develop and mentor interns
- Strong oral, written and graphic communication skills
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Project or graphic/desktop publishing software to include Auto Cad, Micro station, Adobe suite, and GIS capabilities
- Strong communication skills - graphic, verbal and written
- Ability to think strategically and understand complex technical and legal issues relating to development
- Ability to learn key project delivery methods while working on a variety of project types and scales
- Demonstrated ability to graphically communicate and problem solve; via sketching, model building, digital design, etc.
- Well-organized in work preparation for self and others, providing a positive work environment to facilitate the completion and execution of work plans and projects
- Researches and assimilates innovative ideas into more creative projects & efficient ways to accomplish goals; extends innovations at project level, when appropriate, and shares results with the department team
- Able to articulate and present planning concepts with clarity in a diplomatic and persuasive manner
- Able to generate, with clarity, correspondence regarding complex issues; prepares reports regarding status of projects
- Basic real estate/development knowledge
- Knowledge of themed entertainment and Disney preferred
- Membership in one or more professional organizations such as ASLA, AIA, ULI, APA, SARA, NCARB, LEED is desirable.
- 4 year degree in WDI core disciplines such as Landscape Architecture, Land and Urban Planning, Urban Design, Architecture, Real Estate Development, Civil Engineering, Project Management or related field
Additional Information:©Disney is an equal opportunity employer. Drawing Creativity from Diversity.
About Walt Disney Imagineering:
Founded in 1952 as WED Enterprises to design and build the world’s first theme park — Disneyland — Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is where imagination and creativity combine with cutting-edge technology to create unforgettable experiences. WDI is the creative force that imagines, designs and builds all Disney theme parks, resorts, attractions and cruise ships worldwide. Imagineering’s unique strength comes from its diverse global team of creative and technical professionals, who build on Disney’s legacy of storytelling to pioneer new forms of entertainment. The Imagineers who practice this unique blend of art and science work in more than 100 disciplines to shepherd an idea all the way from “blue sky” concept phase to opening day.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Imagineering.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.