Already applied?View Dashboard
PH-Ride Control SW EngineerApply Now Apply Later Job ID 641075BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Walt Disney Imagineering Date posted Jul. 19, 2019
Job Summary:The Walt Disney Company is a world-class entertainment and technological leader. Walt’s passion was to continuously envision new ways to move audiences around the world—a passion that remains our touchstone in an enterprise that stretches from theme parks, resorts and a cruise line to sports, news, movies and a variety of other businesses. Uniting each endeavor is a commitment to creating and delivering unforgettable experiences — and we’re constantly looking for new ways to enhance these exciting experiences. Bring your individual talents here and discover for yourself why a career with Disney is the opportunity you’ve been looking for.
“It takes people to make the dream a reality.” Walt was on to something when he said that, and it continues to ring true today. No matter the stage in your career, being a part of Walt Disney Parks & Resorts means being a part of a team where you help bring innovation to life through unsurpassed products, services and most importantly remarkable experiences. As a Cast Member you are the steward and connection to our legacy and the backbone of our thriving innovations. Join our team and watch your dreams come true.
Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is the master planning, creative development, design, engineering, production, project management, and research and development arm of Disney’s Parks and Resorts business segment. Representing more than 150 disciplines, its talented corps of Imagineers are responsible for the creation of Disney resorts, theme parks and attractions, hotels, water parks, real estate developments, regional entertainment venues, cruise ships and new media technology projects.
Watch the video below to learn more about what a day in the life of an Imagineer is like!
Responsibilities:Define, analyze, and validate deterministic solutions for large scale, fail-safe motion control systems
- System Definition
- System Performance Analysis
- Control System Architecture
- Detailed Design Specifications
- Understand / Review Electrical Layout (e.g. single line drawing) & Mechanical Drawings (e.g. pneumatic diagram)
- Hazard Analysis
- Test Strategies and Test Plans
Specify, design, and implement operator intensive, safety-critical control software using real-time operating systems
- Theory of Operation
- Software Design Document
- Debug / Software Integration Test
Install, integrate, and test high capacity, man-rated control systems domestically and overseas
- I/O Checkout
- System Functions Testing
- Fault Testing
- Adjusting / Tuning
- Acceptance Testing using Earned Value tracking
- Ability to Travel (project durations usually 3-5 years - sometimes assignment starts mid-project)
- Software Development Tools (Integrated Development Environment (IDE), compilers, linkers, debuggers, etc) experience
- Proficiency at C++
- Strong Analytical Skills
- Strong Initiative / Self-Motivated
- Strong Verbal Communications
- Strong Technical Writing Ability
- Strong Team Skills – both able to lead and to follow
- More than 2-3 years out of school additionally requires:
- Proven Leader
- Real-Time Control Experience (competent at ensuring deterministic system)
- Fail-Safe Control Experience (competent at creating safety timing analysis)
- Multitasking Software Experience
- Equipment Control Experience (motors, drives, sensors, effectors, servo, …)
- Troubleshooting Skills Experience
- Proven ability to Multitask
- Ability to Innovate Demonstrated
- Able to Handle Demanding, Stressful Assignments
- Development and design are primarily in Glendale, CA, but installation, testing, and other support may require travel and/or relocation, up to approximately 20% of the time. Relocation for 1 year at a time is possible, to both domestic and international facilities.
- Ride Control and/or Theme Park Experience
- Detailed Knowledge of similar Industry Standards
- Rapid Development and/or Agile Development Techniques
- Configuration Management / Version Control Tool Usage
- Proficiency at Unified Modeling Language (UML)
- Experience with System Modeling Language (SysML)
- Experience with Software Case Tools
- Proficiency at Visio, Excel, …, VBA
- Proficiency at Matlab
- Experience with Safety Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs) and HMIs
- Allen Bradley ControlLogix or GuardLogix (RSLogix)
- Siemens SIMATIC Step 7 or Total Integrated Automation (TIA Portal)
- Control Theory
- Bachelors Degree (B.S. or B.A.) in Engineering from an accredited college or university
- Some Physics Coursework (Motion Equations / Dynamics) required
- Science (Physics, Computer Science, …), Engineering, and/or Math Double Major or Major-Minor highly preferred
- Some Computer Science Coursework highly preferred
- Some Engineering Coursework highly preferred
- Control Systems Engineering and/or Control Theory a plus
- Hands On Project(s) a plus
About Walt Disney Imagineering:
Founded in 1952 as WED Enterprises to design and build the world’s first theme park — Disneyland — Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is where imagination and creativity combine with cutting-edge technology to create unforgettable experiences. WDI is the creative force that imagines, designs and builds all Disney theme parks, resorts, attractions and cruise ships worldwide. Imagineering’s unique strength comes from its diverse global team of creative and technical professionals, who build on Disney’s legacy of storytelling to pioneer new forms of entertainment. The Imagineers who practice this unique blend of art and science work in more than 100 disciplines to shepherd an idea all the way from “blue sky” concept phase to opening day.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Imagineering.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.