PH-Ride Control Sys Engineer SrApply NowApply Later Job ID 884165BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Walt Disney Imagineering Date posted Nov. 24, 2021
Ride Control Systems (RCS) Engineers work within WDI’s Ride Studio on one or more project teams, and are responsible for systems engineering activities for ride systems. These engineering activities cover all aspects of ride control system design and implementation including integration of mechanical, electrical, and software systems, from concept to commissioning, for a wide variety of innovative ride platforms that include unique requirements for novel rider experiences, high reliability, and safety. RCS Engineers perform in a highly collaborative environment on diverse teams that include both technical and creative members, and are comfortable in environments where scope and requirements change frequently.
Picture yourself being amongst the “first riders” of the ride you just helped design, build, and commission!
Responsibilities:Join a small team to conceive, design, and deliver an innovative solution that will be used as a core product for future ride systems.
Conduct systems engineering for coordinated control of ride vehicles and wayside devices
- Define product use cases and user needs
- Develop and capture requirements and functional specifications in documents, drawings, and models
- Develop control strategies and algorithms
- Research new products, technologies, and methodologies
- Design, model, and analyze electrical, data communication, and dynamic systems
- Develop implementation plans and budgets
- Develop verification and validation strategies
- Develop and implement mock-ups and prototypes for proof-of concept efforts
- Partner with external vendors
- Develop test requirements and documents, and lead testing efforts
- Significant experience with algorithms strategies, and tools to define and design a fleet management system (or similar) for real-time usage
- Experience with algorithms, strategies, and tools to design a vehicle motion control system for real-time usage
- Experience designing an offline planning/configuration toolkit for a fleet management system
- Approximately 10 years of experience with design, engineering, installation, and commissioning of motion control systems for electromechanical systems
- Solid understanding of kinematics as it pertains to ride systems and machines
- Expertise in motor and motion control methods and components
- Expertise in designing and implementing closed-loop motion control
- Experience with multitasking software platforms and design approaches
- Solid verbal and written communication skills including technical document writing
- Ability to handle multiple complex efforts simultaneously, coordinate team efforts, and manage tasks and priorities
- Proficient in software/system algorithm design and modeling methodologies using UML/SysML
- Demonstrated experience in autonomous vehicle controls and sensors
- Proficient with engineering design tools, including NoMagic’s MagicDraw, AutoCAD, Matlab, Simulink, Solidworks
- Solid knowledge of Rockwell and/or Siemens automation systems architecture and components as well as general purpose computers
- Experience in broad application of control system theory (closed-loop control, MIMO systems, positioning and navigation)
- Experience with requirements management, verification planning, test plan/procedures, and test execution
- Knowledge and familiarity with amusement and automation industry safety standards, such as ASTM F2291 and IEC 61508
- Demonstrated experience in scheduling and estimating control systems development and implementation scope
- A Bachelor of Science Degree in an engineering field from an accredited university
- Some Physics Coursework (Motion Equations / Dynamics) required
- Some Computer Engineering Coursework highly preferred
- Some System Engineering coursework preferred
- Control Systems Engineering and/or Control Theory a plus
Additional Information:Disney offers a rewards package to help you live your best life. This includes health and savings benefits, educational opportunities and special extras that only Disney can provide. Learn more about our benefits and perks at https://jobs.disneycareers.com/benefits.
About Walt Disney Imagineering:
Founded in 1952 as WED Enterprises to design and build the world’s first theme park — Disneyland — Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is where imagination and creativity combine with cutting-edge technology to create unforgettable experiences. WDI is the creative force that imagines, designs and builds all Disney theme parks, resorts, attractions and cruise ships worldwide. Imagineering’s unique strength comes from its diverse global team of creative and technical professionals, who build on Disney’s legacy of storytelling to pioneer new forms of entertainment. The Imagineers who practice this unique blend of art and science work in more than 100 disciplines to shepherd an idea all the way from “blue sky” concept phase to opening day.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Imagineering.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.