Already applied?View Dashboard
PH-Show Mechanical Engineer SrApply Now Apply Later Job ID 502051BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Walt Disney Imagineering Date posted Jul. 13, 2018
Job Summary:Walt Disney Imagineering has a long history of bringing characters to life in the form of Audio-Animatronics. At Walt Disney Imagineering, we are continuing to advance the state-of-the-art in advanced, lifelike robotics. As a part of this team, you will help develop the future of our robotics systems and will help us achieve our vision to bring characters to life in unparalleled ways in our parks.
- Perform full spectrum of mechanical project activities for robotics with strong emphasis on design and analysis, supporting multiple constraints (electrical, manufacturing, cost, weight, etc)
- Take responsibility for activities through all phases of engineering including design, analysis, mockups, production, testing, turnover and close-out efforts
- Author and perform test plans and specifications
- Work independently and in highly diverse and multidisciplinary project teams, and with external partners
- Communicate effectively with other engineers and leaders
- Hands-on assembly and testing of prototype designs
- Strong knowledge of Mechanical Engineering design and analysis
- Proficiency in CAD design (SolidWorks preferred)
- Working knowledge of manufacturing and quality control processes
- Able to write and review technical documents such as Requirements Specifications, Scopes of Work, and Test Procedures
- Fluent in a number of mechanical engineering areas, such as: structural mechanics, tolerances/fits, bearings, gears, mechanisms, strength of materials, finite element analysis, heat dissipation, system modeling and control, data acquisition tools, rapid prototyping
- Experience with design of complex, space and weight constrained mechanical articulated systems
- Motors and drives specification, sizing, selection, interfacing
- Hands-on experience with light fabrication and assembly
- Ability to use common shop tools, mill, lathe, etc
- Experience with Matlab/Simulink, FEA (Ansys, etc), PLM (SolidWorks PDM, etc)
- Expertise and experience with common robotics sensors and their interfaces
- BS in Mechanical Engineering
About Walt Disney Imagineering:
Founded in 1952 as WED Enterprises to design and build the world’s first theme park — Disneyland — Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is where imagination and creativity combine with cutting-edge technology to create unforgettable experiences. WDI is the creative force that imagines, designs and builds all Disney theme parks, resorts, attractions and cruise ships worldwide. Imagineering’s unique strength comes from its diverse global team of creative and technical professionals, who build on Disney’s legacy of storytelling to pioneer new forms of entertainment. The Imagineers who practice this unique blend of art and science work in more than 100 disciplines to shepherd an idea all the way from “blue sky” concept phase to opening day.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Imagineering.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.